INFOGRAPHIC: The ROI of Studying Abroad

By on September 15, 2011 in Infographics with 100 Comments

While freshmen are acclimating to their new college campus, many sophomores, juniors and seniors are learning the ropes of a new environment: the study abroad program. The most recent IIE report (released last November) indicates that 260, 327 American students elected to study abroad for credit during the 2008/2009 academic year. But studying abroad is expensive and in a struggling economy where tuition is already astronomical, many students must consider whether the investment in an international academic experience is really worth the extra money. In our latest infographic, we take a look at the ROI of studying abroad to evaluate whether it’s all fun and games or if there are real long term benefits to studying in another country.

UPDATE: This graphic was featured by Lifehacker! Why Studying Abroad is Worth The Expense

Tags: , ,

About the Author

About the Author: .

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

There Are 100 Brilliant Comments

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Florida Company Offering Free AK-47s for People Opening New Accounts With Them | Credit Daily News | September 17, 2011
  2. Infografik — “The ROI of Studying Abroad” | Kartellblog. | September 18, 2011
  3. INFOGRAPHIC: The ROI of Studying Abroad | Course Hero | D@J | September 19, 2011
  4. Top Ten Myths About Studying Abroad- Select Study Abroad Florence | October 12, 2011
  5. Why Studying Abroad Is Worth the Expense [Infographics] | pokemonemeralddownload.com | December 15, 2011
  6. Why Studying Abroad Is Worth the Expense [Infographics] | December 15, 2011
  7. Infographic: The Return on Investment Of Study Abroad | M+S+D | December 15, 2011
  8. The ROI of Studying Abroad | Learning to Dansk | December 15, 2011
  9. Why Studying Abroad Is Worth the Expense [Infographics] | That Soviet Guy | December 15, 2011
  10. Why Studying Abroad Is Worth the Expense | Got2.Me | December 15, 2011
  11. The ROI of study abroad | December 15, 2011
  12. Study Abroad pays for itself. | ExploreThere | December 15, 2011
  13. Why Studying Abroad Is Worth the Expense [Infographics] | My Blog | December 16, 2011
  14. Studying abroad: Worth the expense? : Exploring English for Tourism | December 17, 2011
  15. Study abroad’s return on your life « Bus2alps – Student Travel Europe | December 19, 2011
  16. Best Days of the Week to Fly — NoDebtWorldTravel.com | January 1, 2012
  17. Plan now to kick your kid out of the country | Parenting Without a Manual | Work It, Mom! | January 4, 2012
  18. Parents: What to do before your son or daughter leaves to study abroad | Abroad 101 Blog | January 10, 2012
  19. The ROI Of Study Abroad | January 11, 2012
  20. The benefits of studying abroad (infographic) | Corey Christiansen | January 20, 2012
  21. Infographic: The ROI of Study Abroad | CALS Study Abroad | March 5, 2012
  22. Andrea McNett | Blog | April 29, 2012
  23. The ROI of Studying Abroad | Abroad | June 4, 2012
  24. Why Study Abroad? | Your Future, Your World | January 30, 2013
  25. The ROI of Studying Abroad [infographic] | March 10, 2013
  26. The ROI of Studying Abroad [infographic] | David Wu | March 10, 2013
  27. Data Display of the Day: Studying Abroad | Tweak Your Slides | March 10, 2013
  28. The ROI Of Studying Abroad [Infographic] | Pxih.com | March 11, 2013
  29. The Benefits of Study Abroad (infographic) | March 13, 2013
  30. The ROI of studying abroad #infographic | Best Infographics | March 20, 2013
  31. The ROI Of Studying Abroad | Education Graphical Information | March 24, 2013
  1. Sarah says:

Do you have this graphic in print form? If so, how can I get a copy?

2. Beth says:

CH,

I would love to have a link to print the graphic as well! Would you be willing to send it to me?

Many thanks!

3. Jinny says:

What a great infographic! Could you send the link to print the graphic to me as well? Thanks so much!

4. Carrie says:

This is a fantastic infographic! Could you also send me the link to the graphic alone? I would appreciate it. This is something I think students and parents would love to see.

5. Darla says:

This is really interesting. Could you also share the graphic with me? It provides further reinforcement of the added value, beyond course transfer of credit that come from this type of experiential investment.

6. Sarah O'Donnell says:

Hi! This is great! I am a Study Abroad Advisor and I would love to share this with my students (and perhaps most importantly, their parents!) Can you please send me the graphic to print? Thank you!!

7. Anthony Yuen says:

Hi there, we at Berkeley would love to have a link to the graphic if it’s not too much trouble. Thank you in advance!

8. Jeanne says:

We love your infographic! Where did you gather your data? Can you provide citations?

9. College says:

One other issue is that if you are in a circumstance where you will not have a co-signer then you may want to try to make use of all of your financial aid options. You will find many grants or loans and other grants that will offer you funding to assist with institution expenses. Thx for the post.

10. david says:

Can you send me the link as well? And may I ask why you don’t include it in the post?

11. Francisco says:

Great infographic! Would I also be able to receive a digital copy to print out as well?

12. Haley says:

I’d love a link to the infographic to print as well.

13. Great graphic! I’ll definitely share this with DePaul’s Study Abroad office…

14. Francesca says:

This information was great! Would you send me the graphic as well? Thanks, nicely done!

15. JD says:

This looks great, could you also send me the link to print the graphic to me as well? Thank you.

16. Emily says:

I agree on the great infographic! Could you please send the link to me as well. Thank you!

17. Emily Hassenstab says:

I love this! Could you also send me the graphic?

18. Dan says:

I am also a study abroad advisor who is interested in having a link to the graphic on its own. I’d love to share this to our students across campus.

Thanks!

19. bison says:

Could I also have the link? Please and thank you!

20. Rob says:

Not only was is the best experience of my
    Life, but helped me get a great job. #winning

21. Susan says:

Could you send me a link to the graphic as well? Thanks!

22. Janna says:

I would love to print this and link to it! It is fantastic. May we do so? And if yes, can you share the graphic?

23. Ally says:

Would love to have the print version. Thank you for sharing!

24. Rob says:

I hate to add another request to the queue, but I would love to be able to share this directly with my students. May I also have the link to the print version? Thanks!

25. Dustin Fenton says:

I would love the graphic of this as well – I am in Student Leadership Development and I do all that I can to help get students studying abroad! – Thanks for this relevant and visibly attractive tool.

26. spirulina says:

Brilliant infographic. A piece of art!

27. Hankin says:

nice graphic. I’d liked to have studied abroad but its always seemed a bit scary.

28. Monica says:

Add me to the list for the graphic — thanks so much in advance.

29. Jean says:

Please send me the link to print the graphic – many thanks!

30. Andrea says:

Hello. I would love the link to this graphic. With the link, could you please tell me any info on the copyright for this piece or if we can print it freely. Thank you!

31. K says:

Hi, it is supposed to be IIE report, instead of IEE.

32. Michelle says:

From another Office for Study Abroad, we’d love to print this as well. Please send along the link to print it. Much appreciated for your excellent graphic!

33. Mike says:

I’d like access to to the printable graphic, please.

34. Kendall says:

another request for the graphic, this is really well articulated. I’ve been doing research on study abroad programs for a little while now and appreciate the ability to articulate the intangibles. Frontiers Journal is an essential source for anyone looking to learn more about study abroad.

35. Julie says:

So true. I’ve been asked about my study abroad experience in every interview. Totally took the pressure off and gave me a chance to show my personality and enthusiasm. I also received two job opportunities because of my study abroad blogging. Blogging is a great way to get your name out there and great for your resume especially if you’re interested in communications/marketing/social media/digital media etc. Even though I purchased my own domain, I recommend creating a blog on Students Gone Global which is launching in January and will be better than Tumblr and Blogger. Check it out: http://www.facebook.com/studentsgoneglobal

36. Luca says:

Great job!!! Can you send me the link for the graphic?

37. Jennifer says:

Can you send me the infographic as well. I work for Michigan State University

38. I’d love to use this image in promotional materials for study abroad on our campus. If this is o.k., could you please share any info on the copyright/ownership so that we can give proper credit? Many thanks in advance!

39. Kelly says:

I echo the above comments – great job! Could you please send me this to print?

40. Nicole says:

This is a great graphic! May I also please have the link to print the graphic?

41. Mary Beth says:

This is great! Can you send the graphic and copyright info in my direction as well? Thanks!

42. Stacy says:

What a great tool for helping to make the case for education abroad on our campuses!

Can you please send me the link for the graphic?

43. Jennifer says:

I’d love to have a link for the graphic as well!

44. Rebecca Greenhaw says:

Our Study Abroad Office would love the link as well. Great information! Thanks!

45. Rahmat Pramulya says:

That’s good information for me. Thanks…

46. Colton says:

I would also really like a link to a high quality printable version of this graphic to use in our Study Abroad Office. Thank you!
    -SA Advisor @ U. of Idaho

47. Rachel says:

ditto to the rest of the comments – could you please send me a link to a high-quality printable file? Thanks so much!

48. Tina Johnson says:

This is a great graphic – I would very much appreciate a link to a high-quality printable file for use in our experiential learning center/study abroad office. Thank you!

49. Mary says:

Great article. I, too, would love the link to the graphic, if possible!

50. Liz Shabani says:

I’d love to use this image in promotional materials for study abroad on our campus! If willing, would you please share any a file document or more information on the ownership so that we, too, can give proper credit? We are having a career services workshop about Study Abroad and I would love to share this.

51. Kate says:

Great infographic! Do you have the sources for the information you used? I would love to be able to cite it. As well, I would love a link to the graphic. Thanks!

52. Lauren Bruce says:

I’d love a printiple version as well to hang up in our Center for International Education at University of Colorado. Great graphic!

53. Lauren Bruce says:

I mean printable. Oops.

54. Xenia Haysom says:

Hi there,

A friend recently sent me a link to this infographic, knowing that I would love it. I work in student mobility in Australia and would love the opportunity to display this to my students. Would you be able to send me the a printable version as well?

Many thanks,
    Xenia

55. Caroline says:

I work for a study abroad program and would love to print this. Could you please send me a link to the printable version of the graphic too? Thanks! Caroline

56. Shelley LaMantia says:

If you’re still willing to share the graphic I would appreciate it.

57. Chris Swanson says:

What an excellent graphic!! If you could send me the link to the graphic as well, I would appreciate it. This will be great to share with students, parents, and faculty. Thank you for creating this!

58. Jaime says:

This is great! I would love a copy of the graphic, and permission to use the graphic in our Study Abroad Office’s promotional efforts, if you are willing to share. Thank you!

59. Susi Rachouh says:

I love your graphic! I just opened the first Office of International Programs at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ and would love to have permission to use the graphic on our website (which is under construction).

Thanks!