Unformatted Document Excerpt
>> South Carolina
Course Hero has millions of student submitted documents similar to the one
below including study guides, practice problems, reference materials, practice exams, textbook help and tutor support.
Course Hero has millions of student submitted documents similar to the one below including study guides, practice problems, reference materials, practice exams, textbook help and tutor support.
Out Starting With C++: Early Objects 5th Edition Test Bank Key -- Chapter One, Test One 1. The term hardware refers to a. the relative difficulty of programming b. the physical components that make up a computer c. the way a computer's storage space is organized d. the logical flow of instructions e. None of the above Register to View Answer2. At the heart of a computer is its Central Processing Unit. The CPU's job is to a. fetch instructions b. carry out the operations commanded by the instructions c. produce some outcome or resultant information d. do all of the above e. do none of the above Register to View Answer3. Although an object file contains machine language instructions, it is not a complete program. Why? Answer: Prewritten code from the run-time libraries must be added to the object code by the linker, and then an executable file is created. 4. An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) normally includes a. a text editor b. a compiler c. a debugger d. All of the above e. None of the above Register to View Answer5. The purpose of a memory address is a. to identify the location of a memory cell b. to prevent multitasking c. to obtain an algorithm d. to improve the effectiveness of high-level languages e. None of the above Register to View Answer6. Creating a program requires many steps. Three of these are a. input, processing, and output b. key words, operators, and punctuation c. program design, writing source code, and testing d. syntax, logic, and error handling e. None of the above Register to View Answer
7. Memory locations that can hold data are called a. operators b. variables c. syntax d. operands e. None of the above Register to View Answer8. Characters or symbols that perform operations on one or more operands are a. syntax b. op codes c. operators d. program ops e. None of the above Register to View Answer9. True/False: Software engineering is a field that encompasses designing, writing, testing, debugging, documenting, modifying, and maintaining computer programs. Register to View Answer10. The computer's main memory is commonly known as a. a disk drive b. a CD c. RAM d. secondary storage e. None of the above Register to View Answer11. The ________ coordinates the computer's operations by fetching the next instruction and using control signals to regulate the other major computer components. a. Arithmetic and Logic Unit (ALU) b. main memory c. BIOS d. Control Unit e. operating system Register to View Answer12. A(n) ________ is a set of instructions that tells the computer how to solve a problem. a. compiler b. linker c. program d.. operator e. variable Register to View Answer13. List five elements that are common to all programming languages. Answer: Key words, programmer-defined symbols, operators, punctuation, and syntax
14. True/False: Most of the lines in a program contain something meaningful; however, some of the lines may contain nothing at all. Register to View Answer15. True/False: Once a value has been stored in a variable it cannot be changed. Register to View Answer16. True/False: The purpose of the compiler is to convert object code into source code. Register to View Answer(It does just the opposite. It translates source code into binary object code.) 17. C++ is an example of a. a low-level programming language b. a high-level programming language c. pseudocode logic d. machine language e. None of the above Register to View Answer18. ________ is/are used in a C++ program to mark the beginning or ending of a statement, or to separate items in a list. a. Separators b. Punctuation c. Operators d. Key words e. None of the above Register to View Answer19. A set of well-defined steps for performing a task or solving a problem is known as a. a hierarchy chart b. an algorithm c. the Central Processing Unit d. an encoded instruction e. None of the above Register to View Answer20. The statements written by the programmer are called a. syntax b. object code c. source code d. run-time libraries e. None of the above Register to View Answer
Starting Out With C++: Early Objects 5th Test Edition Bank Key -- Chapter One, Test Two
1. Internally, the Central Processing Unit (CPU) consists of two parts: a. the input devices and the output devices b. the software and the hardware c. the Control Unit and the Arithmetic and Logic Unit (ALU) d. the single-task devices and the multi-task devices e. the compiler and the linker Register to View Answer2. Even when there is no power to the computer, data can be held in a. secondary storage devices b. RAM c. variables d. the keyboard e. None of the above Register to View Answer3. Words with a special meaning that may be used only for their intended purpose are known as a. operators b. programmer-defined symbols c. key words d. syntax e. None of the above Register to View Answer4. A memory location that can hold data is called a a. key word b. storage box c. data cell d. variable e. None of the above Register to View Answer5. A ________ is a complete instruction that causes the computer to perform some action. a. line b. line number c. statement d. variable e. key word Register to View Answer
6. A variable definition always specifies the name of a variable and tells a. what type of data it can hold b. how many times it will be used in the program c. the area of the code in which it will be used d. what its starting value is e. All of the above Register to View Answer7. Three primary activities of a program are a. creating variables, operators, and key words b. executing lines, statements, and key words c. input, processing, and output d. reading, writing, and arithmetic e. None of the above Register to View Answer8. An example of a secondary storage device is a. the computer's main memory b. the keyboard c. the monitor d. a hard disk e. None of the above Register to View Answer9. True/False: Most modern computers can understand and execute pseudocode. Register to View Answer(They cant even understand source code. They understand binary object code.) 10. Mistakes that allow a program to run, but cause it to produce erroneous results are called a. syntax errors b. logic errors c. compiler errors d. linker errors e. None of the above Register to View Answer11. What are some of the tools used in the craft of software engineering? Answer: program specifications, charts and diagrams of screen output, hierarchy charts, pseudocode, examples of expected input and desired output, and special testing software. 12.
________ is an example of volatile memory, used for temporary storage while a program is running. a. A floppy disk b. The ALU c. RAM d. A hard disk e. None of the above Register to View Answer
13. True/False: If a new value is stored in a variable, it replaces whatever value was previously there. Register to View Answer14. True/False: Syntax involves rules that must be followed when constructing a program. Register to View Answer15. True/False: C++ is considered a low-level programming language. Register to View Answer(It is considered a high-level programming language.) 16. The programmer usually enters source code into a computer using: a. a preprocessor b. a compiler c. a linker d. a debugger e. None of the above Register to View Answer(Source code is entered using a text editor, which may be part of an IDE.) 17. In a broad sense, the two primary categories of programming languages are a. mainframe and PC b. single-tasking and multi-tasking c. low-level and high-level d. Java and C++ e. None of the above Register to View Answer18. In the C++ statement pay = rate * hours; the * symbol is a(an) a. operator b. operand c. variable separator d. key word e. punctuation mark Register to View Answer19. True/False: Executable code is a form of computer program that runs without exhibiting errors. Register to View Answer20. A software package that includes a text editor, compiler, debugger, and assorted utilities for creating, testing, and running software is called a(n) a. low-level programming language b. high-level programming language c. Integrated Development Environment (IDE) d. Software Utility Package (SUP) e. None of the above Register to View Answer