Complete List of Terms and Definitions for Anatomy & Physiology 1- Dr. Smith ASUB
21. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of epithelial tissue?
A. Exhibits a polarity
B. Derived from mesoderm/mesenchyme cells
D. Cells are on top of a basement membrane
E. Composed almost entirely of cells
|B. Derived from mesoderm/mesenchyme cells|
14. Which is NOT a characteristic of an epithelial tissue?
A. Exhibits a polarity
B. Has an abundant extracellular matrix
D. Has a regenerative property
E. Is richly innervated
13. Which is NOT capable of simple diffusion through the plasma membrane?
A. Calcium ions (Ca2+)
|A. Calcium ions|
1. Which of the following is NOT a tissue type found in the skin?
A. Stratified squamous epithelium
B. Loose connective tissue
C. Dense irregular connective tissue
D. Ciliated columnar epithelium
E. Vascular tissue
|D. Ciliated columnar epithelium|
19. Which of the following molecular motors could be found on microfilaments?
18. A kinase has the following function:
A. Take ATP, remove the phosphate from ATP, and phosphorylate target proteins
B. Convert GTP and GDP to make the protein inactive
C. Binds steroid hormones to active as a ligand-binding transcription factor.
|A. Take ATP, remove the phosphate from ATP, and phosphorylate target proteins.|
11. What is the mode of secretion by the salivary glands?
|73. T or F? A second-degree burn would damage only the epidermis||False|
26. Adenylin cyclase A. Activated by cAMP
27. Protein kinase A B. Splits PIP2 into IP3 and DAG
28. Protein Kinase C C. Activated by DAG and calium ions
29. Phospholipase C D. Cleaves a PUFA from
20. Which protein composes the microtubule?
2. Which of the following layers of the epidermis is NOT found in thin skin?
A. Stratum basale
B. Stratum spinosum
C. Stratum granulousum
D. Stratum lucidum
E. Stratum corneum
|D. Stratum lucidum|
41. Simple squamous
42. Simple cuboidal
45. Stratified squamous
A. "respiratory" epithelium
B. Oral cavity, esophagus, vagina
C. Thyroid follicles, tubules of kidneys
D. Alveoli of lungs, inner
3. Which of the following is a simple coiled tubular gland?
A. Sudoriferous gland
B. Sebaceous gland
C. Parathyroid gland
D. Mammary gland
|A. Sudoriferous gland|
Passive or Active transport?
32. Clathrin-mediated endocytosis
15. A cutaneous membrane is composed of what specific epithelial tissue type?
A. Simple squamous epithelium
B. Simple columnar epithelium
C. Nonkeratinized stratified squamous epithelium
D. Keratinized stratified squamous epithelium
|D. Keratinized stratified squamous epithelium|
|69. T or F? Albinism occurs when the enzymatic activity of Langerhans cells are deficient||False|
|66. T or F? During countertransport, one substance is moving in one direction across the membrane while another substance is moving in the opposite direction||True|
|67. T or F? Replication of DNA occurs in the nucleus||True|
|71. T or F? Alopecia is a condition of excessive hair||False|
36. Areolar connective tissue
37. Adipose connective tissue
38. Reticular connective tissue
39. Dense regular connective tissue
40. Dense irregular connective tissue
A. Spleen, lymph nodes, liver
B. Tendons, ligaments, aponeuroses
12. Which connective tissue lies underneath epithelial tissues?
A. Areolar tissue
B. Reticular tissue
C. Dense regular connective tissue
D. Dense irregular connective tissue
E. Hyaline cartilage
|A. Areolar tissue|
24. Which of the following is NOT a glycoprotien you could find in the ground substance of a connective tissue?
B. Hyaluronic acid
|B. Hyaluronic acid|
6. Which of the following ribonucleic acids will transport a specific activated amino acid to the ribosome for the synthesis of a protein?
|72. T or F? A burn that covered an anterior portion of the trunk and the anterior portion of the left arm would have covered 22.5% of the body surface.||True|
46. Hyaline cartilage
47. Elastic cartilage
B. Intervertebral discs, symphysis pubis
C. Articular cartilage, costal cartilages
D. Connective tissue without fibers; in the vasculature
4. Which of the following nail structures is the white crescent near the root of the nail?
C. Nail matrix
E. Free edge
7. The synthesis of RNA from a DNA template is called ______.
17. Which of the following proteins is most important for the process of exocytosis?
D. Heterotrimeric G proteins
25. If a protein is to be secreted, it displays a signal sequence which will cause the ribosome to be transported from the cytosol to the rough ER. What molecule will recognize this signal sequence?
A. Sec61 (translocon) complex
B. SRP (signal recog
|B. SRP (signal recognition particle)|
|68. T or F? Basal cell carcinoma is a skin cancer that arises from melanocytes.||False|
|70. T or F? The stratum basale are the mitotically- active cells of the epidermis||True|
22. If you isolated a protein that was integral, passed through the membrane seven times, and has no apparent enzymatic activity, what protein class/ family could this be?
A. Nuclear/steroid receptor family
B. Voltage-gated ion channel
C. Ligand- g
23. Which is NOT considered to be a function of the integumentary system/skin?
A. physical and chemical barrier
B. contains somatosensory receptors
C. provides storage sites for calcium and phosphate
D. responsible for synthesis of calcitriol
|C. Provides storage sites for calcium and phosphate|
|75. T or F? Nervous tissue has high regeneration capabilities when damaged||False|
|74. Elastic fibers are a type of collagen fiber (type 3)||False|
16. What is the outcome of one ATP being split into ADP by the Na+-K+-ATPase?
A. 2 sodiums pumped intracellular; three potassiums pumped extracellular
B. 2 sodiums pumped extracellular; three potassiums pumped intracellular.
C. 3 sodiums pumped e
|E. 3 sodiums pumped extracellular; 2 potassiums pumped intracellular|
5. Which of the following describes the abnormal color of the skin caused by liver disease with the subsequent accumulation of bile salts in the blood.