In order for a barge to travel 24 mi upriver and then return in a total of 5 hr, approximately how fast must the barge be able to travel in still water? 30. Navigation. The Hudson River flows at a rate of 3 mph. A patrol boat travels 60 mi upriver and returns in a total time of 9 hr. What is...
62. Pizza Crusts. At Pizza Perfect, Ron can make 100 large pizza crusts in 1.2 hr less than Chad. Together they can do the job in 1.8 hr. How long does it take each to do the job alone?
If a quadratic function can be used as a model, we can find such maximums or minimums by finding coordinates of the vertex. EXAMPLE 1 Fenced-In Land. A farmer has 64 yd of fencing. What are the dimensions of the largest rectangular pen that the farmer can enclose?
1. Fenced-In Land. A farmer has 100 yd of fencing. What are the dimensions of the largest rectangular pen that the farmer can enclose?
7. Garden Design. A farmer decides to enclose a rectangular garden, using the side of a barn as one side of the rectangle. What is the maximum area that the farmer can enclose with 40 ft of fence? What should the dimensions of the garden be in order to yield this area?
If the chicken wire is 3 ft high, what dimensions of the base will maximize the volume of the container? 9. Ticket Sales. The number of tickets sold each day for an upcoming performance of Handels Messiah is given by Nx 0.4x 2 9x 11, where x is the number of days since the concert was first...
In order for a motorized dinghy to travel 3 mi upriver and then return in a total of 4 hr, how fast must the boat be able to travel in still water? 11. Memory Board. A computer-parts company wants to make a rectangular memory board that has a perimeter of 28 cm. What dimensions will allow the...
5. What is the diameter of the balloon when the equilibrium solution is attained?
Which confidence interval would you expect to have greater precision in estimating the population mean? A. I expect both confidence intervals to have the same precision. B. I expect the confidence interval based on the sample of 64 data values to be more precise. C. I expect the confidence...
11. A box has 100 numbered balls in it, 30 black and 70 red. Four are picked at random. What is the probability that there are at least two red balls?
Ask a new Math Question
Tips for asking Questions
- Provide any and all relevant background materials. Attach files if necessary to ensure your tutor has all necessary information to answer your question as completely as possible
- Set a compelling price: While our Tutors are eager to answer your questions, giving them a compelling price incentive speeds up the process by avoiding any unnecessary price negotiations
1. I’m having problems with my math. Can you help me? All I need is an example just to make sure I'm on track.
- Solve the following
- a) 3/(n+1)-1/(n+1)=14/(n^2-1)
- b) 1/(y-1 )+y/(1-y)
- d) (x-2)/(8x-24)*(5x-15)/(x^2 -4)
- e) z/(z-1)+1/2=3/z
- f) (x-3)/(x^2+2x-15)-(4-x)/(x^2-9x+20)
- 2. How do I set up this problem? An exam contains five "true or false" questions. How many of the 32 different ways of answering these questions contain 3 or more incorrect answers?