b) Consider a container of volume 250ml that is divided into two compartments of equal size. In the left compartment, there is argon at 100KPA and 0 C; in the right compartment there is neon at the same temperature and pressure. Assume perfect behaviour. Calculate the entropy and Gibbs...
A string is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder of radius r. The cylinder can rotate freely about its axis. The loose end of the string is attached to a block. The block and cylinder each have mass m. Note that the positive y direction is downward and counterclockwise torques are positive....
A steam turbine receives water at 15 MPa, 600 C at a rate of 100 kg/s. In the middle section 20 kg/s is withdrawn at 2 MPa, 350 C, and the rest exits the turbine at 75 kPa, and 95% quality. Assuming no heat transfer and no changes in kinetic energy, find the total turbine power output.
A vertical axis cylindrical storage tank contains water to a depth of 15m. Given that its radius is 4m, and the maximum allowable shell stress is 240 MNm-2, what is the required shell thickness? The specific weight of water is 9810 Nm-3.
A tower construction crane is exerting a force F = 840 N along cable BC, which connects the trolley (B) to a point on the ground (C). The crane contains a fixed support at the base A. The vertical tower lies along the z-axis, and the horizontal boom is parallel to the x-y plane. Ignore the weight...
Enthalpy of formatoin, Gibbs function and absolute enthropy of Hexane at 25 degree centigrade, 0.1 MPa Pressure
draw the shear and bending-moment diagrams for the beam and loading shown and determine the maximum normal stress due to bending
steps in getting the upper bounds of muscle forces and stresses
I am trying to calculate how many liters a minute I can pull air at 37 C by a vacuum of 25 mm Hg through an opening that is 0.02 square inches.
Hi Albert, I was wondering if we could get an answer today. I will be glad to increase the amount of money for expediting the results. I need to verify my calculations before our team meets at 5 PM today. Thank you, Larry
Ask a new Mechanical Engineering Question
Tips for asking Questions
- Provide any and all relevant background materials. Attach files if necessary to ensure your tutor has all necessary information to answer your question as completely as possible
- Set a compelling price: While our Tutors are eager to answer your questions, giving them a compelling price incentive speeds up the process by avoiding any unnecessary price negotiations
1. Can you help me with this Thermodynamics question:
- A closed, rigid tank whose volume is 1.5 m3 contains refrigerant 134a, initially a two phase liquid-vapor mixture at 10C. The refrigerant is heated to a final state where temperature is 50C and quality is 100%. Locate the initial and final states on a sketch of the T-v digram. Determine the mass of vapor present at the initial and final state, each in kg.
2. Can you show me step-by-step how to determine the phase or phases in a system consisting of H2O at the following conditions and sketch p-v and T-v diagrams shown the locations of each state?:
- a) P= 80 lbf/in^2, T= 312.07 F
- b) T= 400 F, P= 360 lbf/in^2