Read each question carefully and completely before you select the best
questions 1-52, and fill in the appropriate blank in the scantron form with a #2 pencil.
Each question is worth 2.0 points. Answer all 52 questions. The best 50 answers will be
considered for a maximum of 100 points.
1) Fresh onion in the produce section of a grocery store is considered alive because of the
following reasons EXCEPT?
A) Presence of intact cells with nucleus
B) Presence of a nucleus surrounded by a nuclear membrane
C) Response to changes in the environment
D) The lack of nucleus and biological membranes
E) Ability to grow when the conditions are optimal
2) If you want to study the toxicity of a new pesticide on plants, fungi and bacteria, which of the
following model systems will you use, respectively?
A) Oak tree, rat,
C) Orchid, nematode, Salmonella
Rice, yeast, rat
3) After measuring CO
concentration and temperatures in several parts of the world, scientists
concluded that global warming is happening for real. This type of making inferences is called
a/an _____________ approach.
4) A scientist studied the effect of several new drugs on the control of anthrax bacteria growing
on petri plates with proper nutrients. This type of experiment is referred to as a/an
C) in situ
D) in vitro
E) in vivo
5) When an atom that is strongly electronegative and has seven electrons in its valence shell
interacts with another atom with one electron in its valence shell, they tend to form
B) ionic bonds.
C) polar covalent bonds.
D) non-polar covalent bonds.
E) H- bonds.
6) Which of the following is the correct ranking of the three bonds and interactions? Select in the
order from highest to lowest in terms of their individual strength in a molecule.
A) ionic, covalent, hydrophilic
B) hydrogen, ionic, covalent
C) covalent, ionic, hydrophobic
D) ionic, hydrogen, covalent
E) covalent, hydrogen, hydrophilic