{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Stacey_Guide_14 - (14)Study Guide-Ch 6-Chemistry of...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
(14)Study Guide- Ch. 6 -Chemistry of Seawater (2-27-08) Sections 6.1, 6.2 1) What are “conservative constituents” and “non-conservative constituents?” -conservative constituents: the 12 ions that make up 99.99% of sea water; their properties do not change (what goes "out" comes "in") -non-conservative constituents -the other 0.01% in sea water; they change all the time; are important for sea life: nutrients. 2) How does river salinity compare to sea water salinity? -river salinity: .12% (1/30 th of ocean) -sea water salinity: 3.5% 3) Know the primary sources of salts. -crust sources-weathering and erosion -interior sources-mantle gases-formation of Earth-volcanic eruptions-ridges, hotspots
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
4) Understand what is meant by the “salt balance.” -salt composition of the oceans has remained constant over the past 1.5 billion years, due to the "salt balance" -salt balance: the amount of salt removed from the oceans is equal to what is put back into the oceans 5) How are salts removed from the oceans to maintain the “salt balance?”
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern