Act I questions
1. Based on lines 3 and 4 of the first scene, what is going on in Scotland as the play
2. How does Macbeth go from being the "Thane of Glamis" (like a Duke or Count), to
being "Thane of Cawdor", and thus becoming second in line to the Kingship? (Scene IV,
Line 1 has a clue).
3. "Disharmony in nature" is a theme of Macbeth. How do lines 13 and 14, as well as line
138 (Macbeth's first line) suggest this?
4. Banquo's assertions in lines 139-147 suggest what about the witches?
5. When the witches address Macbeth and Banquo in Scene III, they tell Macbeth that he
"Shall be king hereafter." Explain in your words what they tell Banquo in lines 166-169.