01.Welcome.pdf - GEOL 3370: Mineralogy (Fall 2021) • T,Th...

This preview shows page 1 - 11 out of 36 pages.

GEOL 3370: Mineralogy(Fall 2021)• T,Th 5:30-6:30 pm• Face-to-Face: SEC 103• Prof. Qi (Chi) Fu• Lab: Fleming 219 & 215Atlanta Sen (2:30 – 4:00)Brent Richards (4:00 – 5:30)Weiyao Yan (7:00 – 8:30)
Dr. Qi (Chi) FuExpertise:organic geochemistry, water-rock interactionOffice:Rm. 328B, S&R 1Email:[email protected], or [email protected]Office Hours:Tue. & Thurs.1:30-2:30 pm, or appointmentonMicrosoft TeamsCourse materials:Blackboard
WHAT YOU NEEDText book is REQUIREDWilliam D. Nesse (2017) 3rd Edition(ISBN: 9780190618353)Oxford University Press, Inc., New York.2nd Edition also worksPencils, ruler, calculator, …Basic knowledge in PhysicalGeology, Chemistry, etc.• TIME!
The Geoscience Learning Center(GLC)SR1Cullen Blvd.FlemingAgnesArnoldHallScienceSECFleming 136Closed due to COVIDGLCOne-on-one tutoring - Rocks - Minerals - Textbooks - Augmented Reality Sand Box -River Modeling Table - Microscopes & Thin Sections - Geophysics Workstation -Computers - Study Space - Google Earth - VideosStaffed by EAS teaching assistants[email protected]713-743-6732CoordinatorsDr. Hauptvogel[email protected]Dr. Sisson[email protected]-center/index.php
Resources• TA on Microsoft Teams:“Mineralogy and IgMetPet” channelCode:h636zhgTalk to or leave messages for TAsMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursday1:00 – 2:30Brent RichardsAtlanta SenBrent RichardsAtlanta Sen4:00 – 5:30Weiyao YanWeiyao Yan
MineralogyThe study of minerals, their structure, physicaland chemical properties, formation, and uses.• Weddellite• Ca-oxalate CaC2O4·2H2O• Tetragonal structure• Found in Antarctica and inkidney stones
Courses in this sequence3370 Mineralogy:Properties, structure andchemistry of rock forming minerals.3372 Petrography:Optical methods; Study ofrocks and minerals in hand samples and thinsections.3373 Igneous and Metamorphic Petrogenesis:The processes by which these rocks are formed;Magmatism, melting, reactions, textures.3374 Sedimentary Petrogenesis:Formation ofsedimentary rocks by physical and chemicalprocesses and their classification.
GEOL 3370 Course Structure26 Lectures18 Labs3 Exams (non-cumulative)1 Term Paper70 MineralsCrystal symmetry and structureCrystal chemistryMethods of mineralcharacterization:X-ray spectroscopyX-ray diffractionSystematic mineralogy:silicatesnonsilicates
Grading• “Adopt a mineral” term paper(20% - 60 pts)• Lab assignments(30% - 90 pts)• Exams (3 non-cumulative)(50% - 150 pts)• There is no extra credit or make-up assignments
“Adopt a mineral” Term Paper“Adopt-A-Mineral Handout” in SeptemberPaper structure:Title page, abstract, introduction,composition, structure, physical properties,geological occurrence, special

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

End of preview. Want to read all 36 pages?

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Term
Spring
Professor
Lubchenko
Tags
Mineralogy, TA, Crystal, Weiyao Yan

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture