hist notes 11-16 - 11-16-07 Plantation Mistress o...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: 11-16-07 Plantation Mistress o Responsibilities Nurse Oversaw the making of clothing (or made it themselves) Tended the garden Care for the poultry (food preparation) Supervised and planned the work of all domestic slaves o They were unhappy about having to work they way they did o Miscegenation the mixing of two races o Lived off the slave system They were not going to buck the system They were dependant on it Yeoman Farmers o Semi-sustenance Did not own slaves Worked the land with their wives and children 80% of this population owned land, the other 20% were tenant farmers They raised Corn Hogs A little tobacco A little cotton They sold extra for refined sugar, salt, and coffee o They were not poor, but never had a lot of money Could not afford technological innovations o Although they envied white plantation owners, they would not fight for it because they wanted to uphold white supremacy o No class conflict racism and fear unified This kept the Yeoman Farmers in check Poor Whites o These are individuals confined to land that nobody else wants Swamps Heavily forested areas o Squatters, illiterate, malnourished Least efficient Lived in crude structures like chinked log cabins Lived in poverty Had hookworm Diet comprised of corn, whisky, etc Slaves o Most had Sundays off and worked about half the day on Saturdays o Reality they did not own themselves, someone else owned them It was not just physical enslavement 11-16-07 Slaves were distinguished on the basis of color o House servants the upper-crust category o Drivers a select two or three o Field Hands majority of slaves fell into this category They were both men and women You would work from SR to SS and ate at 12pm (15-16 hrs a day) o Rewards and Punishments Rewarded slaves with money, food, time off, or a pass Punishments included denial of a pass, less food, (the threat of) being sold, and being whipped ...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 04/13/2008 for the course HIST 1403 taught by Professor Noll during the Spring '08 term at The University of Texas at San Antonio- San Antonio.

Page1 / 2

hist notes 11-16 - 11-16-07 Plantation Mistress o...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online