HISTORY OF LA MARQUE CEMETERYIn 1895 the residents of the area formed a church because they felt the need to worship. The people met together regardless of prior affiliations. Today that church is Paul’s Union Church and is located at 1709 South Oak. The cemetery is adjacent to the church but the church was originally located on land now occupied by the cemetery. On September 8, 1900 the church blew away in the storm and there were many casualties in the area and no cemetery. With the church gone they used the land to bury people. Thereare a number of burials from the “1900 Storm” There is a rumor (that I have been told twice but don’t know how to verify it) that there was also a mass grave for victims of the storm that might have been located under what is now the closed portion of Cherry Street.The man who donated the land for the church, Amasa Stewart, apparently had a clause in the deed that should the land not be used by the church it would revert to him. In 1902 the land was re-deeded (see Page 21-22 Book 195, Galveston County Court House) to three trustees or their successors by the Amasa Stewart family “as a cemetery for the use and benefit of the community in and about La Marque”. The La Marque Cemetery Association was formed with the trustees to oversee the cemetery. The original trustees were B. F. Ayers, Amasa Stewart, and James Battely.In June 1920 the La Marque Progressive Club initiated the purchase of 2 ½ acres of land from J. O. Ross of Houston for the “new” cemetery. June 19, 1920 they agreed to pay Mr. Ross $80.70 for the property. They executed a note with Mr. Ross at eight percent (8%). On that date a contract for a survey was awarded to Sam Moss of Galveston. The contract specified a payment of $25.00 and they were to receive six blueprints.On June 22, 1920 the proposed by-laws were accepted. They formed the La Marque Cemetery Association with Charles Westerlage (President), J. B. Mills (Secretary), and Louis Margot Jr. (Treasurer). Original lot holders were George Westerlage (Lot 62), Charles Westerlage Jr. (Lot 47), E. Boergeaud (Lot 40), J. L. Willhouse (Lot 25), R. R. Armstrong (Lot 18), Fritz Oberdorfer (Lot 4), L. Margot Jr. (Lot 61 – later exchanged for Lot 12), Hugo Zaepheal (Lot 48), H. W. Westerlage (Lot 39), Paul A. Koban (Lot 26), Geo. R. Westerlage (Lot 17), Mark Anizan (Lot 50), Charles Westerlage (Lot 37 – exchanged for Lot 46), J. B. Mills (Lot 28), E. D. Mills Sr. (Lot 15), E. M. Smith (Lot 51), A. L. Bogatto (Lot 51), W. P. Sweeney (Lot 36), P. H. Naschke (Lot 29), L. Margot (Lot 14), and Geo. Pizzatola (Lot 6).In August of 1920 there was a discussion at the La Marque Progressive Club concerning the lack of maintenance at the “old” cemetery. Mr. Bogatto was to see Mr. Whitney aboutthis issue.