What is Cognitive Science?
Definition - 2 parts
• what is studied?
– problems solved with “brains” /
• how is it studied?
– interdisciplinary way
What is studied?
• problems solved by the mind/brain
• So, what does the mind/brain do?
“It ought to be generally known that the source of
our pleasure, merriment, laughter and amusement,
as of our grief, pain, anxiety, and tears is none other
than the brain. It is specially the organ which enables
us to think, see, hear, and to distinguish the ugly and
the beautiful, the bad and the good, pleasant and
unpleasant….it is the brain too, that is the seat of
madness and delirium, of the fears and the frights
that assail us, often by night, but sometimes even by
day; it is there where lies the cause of insomnia and
sleep-walking, of thoughts that will not come,
forgotten duties, and eccentricities….
Hippocrates (circa 425 BC)
Some problems solved
by the brain and mind.
internalizing the physical world
• light -> electromagnetic radiation- vision
• sound -> sound pressure level - audition
• chemical -> olfaction, gustatory, trigeminal
• mechanical energy -> touch
• temperatures ->
• gravitity, acceleration,
-> vestibular sense
Sensation and Perception