Exercise : Commas vs. Semicolons - Compound Sentences
Each of the following sentences needs either a comma or a semicolon. Put in the necessary
1. Many companies make sugar-free soft drinks, which are flavored by synthetic chemicals the
drinks usually contain only one or two calories per serving.
2. Mr. Leyland played the viola professionally for many years and he now conducts a community
3. The crab grass was flourishing but the rest of the lawn, unfortunately, was dying.
4. The hill was covered with wildflowers it was a beautiful sight.
5. As I turned around, I heard a loud thump for the cat had upset the goldfish bowl.
6. The artist preferred to paint in oils he did not like watercolors.
7. The house was clean, the table set, and the porch light on everything was ready for the guests'
8. He looked carefully in the underbrush but he failed to notice the pair of green eyes staring at
9. The foundations of the house had been poured but, to his disappointment, nothing else had
been done because of the carpenters' strike.
10. The computer could perform millions of operations in a split second however, it could not
11. I thought registration day would be tiring but I didn't know I'd have to stand in so many lines.
12. The dog, growling and snarling, snapped at me I was so frightened that I ran.
13. The snowstorm dumped twelve inches of snow on the interstate subsequently, the state police
closed the road.
14. Professors are supposed to be absent-minded and I've seen plenty of evidence to support that
claim since I've been in college.
15. The suspect said that he had never met the victim however, the detective knew that he was