First Folio.docx - First Folio From Wikipedia, the free...

This preview shows page 1 - 4 out of 20 pages.

First FolioFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to navigationJump to searchMr. William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories, &TragediesTitle page of the first impression (1623).AuthorWilliam ShakespeareCover artistMartin DroeshoutCountryEnglandLanguageEarly Modern EnglishGenreEnglish Renaissance theatre
PublisherEdward BlountandWilliam and Isaac JaggardPublication date1623Pagesc. 900Mr. William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories, & Tragediesis a collection of playsbyWilliam Shakespeare, commonly referred to by modern scholars as theFirst Folio,[a]published in 1623, about seven years after Shakespeare's death. It is considered oneof the most influential books ever published.[1]Printed infolioformat and containing 36 plays (seelist of Shakespeare's plays), it wasprepared by Shakespeare's colleaguesJohn HemingesandHenry Condell. Itwasdedicatedto the "incomparable pair of brethren"William Herbert, 3rd Earl ofPembrokeand his brotherPhilip Herbert, Earl of Montgomery (later 4th Earl ofPembroke).Although 19 of Shakespeare's plays had been published inquartobefore 1623, the FirstFolio is arguably the only reliable text for about 20 of the plays, and a valuable sourcetext for many of those previously published. Eighteen of the plays in the First Folio,includingThe Tempest,Twelfth Night, andMeasure for Measureamong others, are notknown to have been previously printed.[2]The Folio includes all of the plays generallyaccepted to be Shakespeare's, with the exception ofPericles, Prince of Tyre,The TwoNoble Kinsmen,Edward III, and the twolost plays,CardenioandLove's Labour's Won.Out of perhaps 750 copies printed, 235 are known to remain, most of which are kept ineither public archives or private collections.Contents1Background2Printing3Contents4Introductory poem5Compositors6The First Folio and variants7Holdings, sales and valuationso7.1Holdingso7.2Sales and valuationso7.3Discoveries of previously unknown Folios8See also9Notes10References11Bibliography12Further reading13External links
o13.1General resourceso13.2Digital facsimilesBackground[edit]Memorial to William Shakespeare in thePoets' Corner,Westminster AbbeyFurther information:Shakespeare's life,funerary monument,reputation, andplays in quartoAfter a long career as an actor, dramatist, andsharerin theLord Chamberlain'sMen(later theKing's Men) from c. 1585–90[b]until c. 1610–13,William ShakespearediedinStratford-upon-Avon, on 23 April 1616,[c]and was buried in thechancelof theChurchof the Holy Trinitytwo days later.Shakespeare's works—both poetic and dramatic—had a rich history in print before thepublication of the First Folio: from the first publications ofVenus and Adonis(1593)andThe Rape of Lucrece(1594), 78 individual printed editions of his works areknown. c. 30% (23) of these editions are his poetry, and the remaining c. 70% (55) hisplays. Counting by number of editions published before 1623, the best-selling workswereVenus and Adonis(12 editions),The Rape of Lucrece(6 editions), andHenry IV,

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

End of preview. Want to read all 20 pages?

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture