Unformatted text preview: 06 February 2012 Legends: Imagined past of familiar places
- Comes from Latin for reading
Described the life of Saints/Apostles
Refers to a notion of history, not actual historical facts Goethe
- German writer, The Sorcerer¶s Apprentice Alois Jirasek
Czech writer Jacob Grimm was perhaps the first to begin the process of legend characterization, when he observed
³The fairy tale is more poetic and the legend more historic.´ This characterization influenced the entire
course of legend scholarship.
- Legend narrative is linked to outer reality, opposed to the inner reality of folktale, making
specific allusions to verifiable topographic features or historical personages.
Unlike folktale, the core of a legend narrative consists of a single experience. This characteristic
accounts for the episodic nature of legend. In most instances, the legend narration centers on a
single event and is monoepisodic. Dreyfus Affair
The arrest of Capt. Alfred Dreyfus in Paris in the autumn of 1894 on charges of having passed military
secrets to the Germans, led to one of the most famous and influential trials in modern history.
Hasidism is a form of Orthodox Judaism.
- Although it has roots in various Jewish mystical texts from the centuries past, modern Hasidism is
generally dated from the career of Israel Baal Shem Tov.
A Baal Shem is one who possesses the secret mystical knowledge of the names of God. Blood Libel
- - The allegation that Jews murder non-Jews, especially Christian children, in order to obtain blood
for the Passover or other rituals: most blood libels occurred close to Passover, being basically
another form of the belief that Jews had been and still were responsible for the passion and
crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
It is combines with the delusion that Jews are in some way not human and must have recourse to
special remedies and subterfuges to appear, at least outwardly, like other men. Gershom Scholem
Jewish philosopher and historian
Raised in Germany, moved to Israel
Widely regarded as the modern founder of the scholarly study of Kabbalah
First professor of Jewish mysticism Walter Benjamin
Associate of Scholem
On the Concept of History (often referred to as Theses on the Philosophy of History) Paul Klee
- Painting ³Angelus Novus´ ...
View Full Document
- Spring '15
- Judaism, Hasidic Judaism, Kabbalah, Israel Baal Shem Tov, Capt. Alfred Dreyfus, legend narration centers