Chapter 5 Notes

Chapter 5 Notes - Chapter 5-The Water We Drink 30 March...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 5—The Water We Drink 30 March 2008 5.2—Where Does Drinking Water Come From? -Water is found underground in aquifers, great pools of water trapped in sand and gravel 50-500 feet below the surface. -Water than can be made suitable for drinking comes from either surface water or groundwater.  Surface water, water from lakes, rivers, and reservoirs,  frequently contains substances that must be removed before it can be used as drinking water.  Groundwater, water pumped from wells that have been  drilled into underground aquifers, is usually free of harmful contaminants.  Large-scale water supply systems for cities tend to rely on surface water  resources.  Smaller cities, towns, and private wells tend to rely on groundwater, the source of drinking water for a little over half the U.S. population. -The great majority of Earth’s water, 97.4% of the total, is in the salty oceans, water that is undrinkable without expensive purification.  The remaining  2.6% of Earth’s total water is all the fresh water we have.  The majority of even this relatively small supply of fresh water is permanently frozen in  glaciers and polar ice caps.  Only about 0.01% of Earth’s total water is conveniently located in lakes, rivers, and streams as fresh water. 5.3—Water as a Solvent -A major reason we must consume water is that it is an excellent solvent for many of the chemicals that makes up our bodies, as well as   for a wide variety of other substances.  A solvent is a substance that is capable of dissolving other substances.  Solutions are those  substances that dissolve in the solvent.  The resulting mixture is called a solution, a homogenous mixture of uniform composition.  Furthermore, aqueous solutions are solutions in which water is the solvent. -Because water is such a good solvent, drinking water is rarely, if ever, just “pure” water.   Municipal water companies provide  information about the dissolved mineral content, the solutes, for tap water. Importance of Water as a Solvent In Our Bodies In the Environment -Blood plasma is an aqueous solution containing a variety of life- supporting substances. -Inhaled oxygen dissolves in blood plasma in the lungs, allowing  O 2  to combine with hemoglobin. -Blood plasma carried dissolved carbon dioxide to the lungs to be  exhaled. -Water helps to maintain a chemical balance by carrying wastes  away. -Water can transport toxic substances into, within, and out of  living organisms.
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern