1. Aneeza is a graduate student working toward a PhD in sociology. For her dissertation, she is researching the digital divide. What will be the focus of her dissertation? a. inequality of access to advanced forms of electronic communication b. the increased cost of doing business with computer technology c. the unprecedented access to computers d. new technological business methods used for opinion polling
2. Which of the following is a focus of neoliberal policy?
3. In an effort to encourage investment, the president of country X reduced tariffs, making the country more attractive to company Y, which then built a large factory in country X. Company Y employed inexpensive, local labour to make a product its employees could not afford to buy. The product was shipped to country Z, where citizens could afford to buy the product. What is the best term to describe this set of relationships between countries?
4. Li-hua was explaining bottom-up globalization to Adam. Adam asked for an example of bottom-up globalization. Which example did Li-hua give?
5.Which of the following is a feature of globalization from below? a. demand for greater environmental regulations around the globe b. praise for the expansion of capitalism in developing countries c. embracing and accepting any and all forms of globalization d. pressure to reduce workers’ rights in the global economy
6. Abiona was astounded when she found out that the worldwide company that makes her favourite ice cream and chocolate bars, and the baby formula she buys for her newborn, also makes dog and cat food and produces soaps and laundry detergent. What term best describes this company?