Chap 10 and 11 - Chap 10 and 11 Risky Behaviors TOBACCO-By...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chap 10 and 11: Risky Behaviors TOBACCO -By law, as of 1985, 4 warning signals must be rotated quarterly on all cigarette packaging and advertising Nicotine: a poison; a stimulant causing the body to release adrenaline Tar: all the solid particles in cigarette smoke including carcinogens and co-carcinogens Carbon Monoxide: interferes with oxygen intake; displaces oxygen from hemoglobin; a by product of cigarettes Numberous Cancer-causing substances: carcinogens Mainstream: what the smoke inhales; 32% of all the smoke from the cigarette Sidestream: the other 68% of the smoke from the cigarette; the "second hand smoke" Effects of Environmental Tobacco Smoke: 1. Lungs- cancer 2. Heart disease 3. Pregnant Long Term Effects: 1. Shorter life expectancy 2. Reduce quality of life (bronchitis, emphazema) Alternatives: 1. Cigars, Pipes 2. Clove cigarettes and Bidis 3. Smokeless Tobacco (Chew) Leukoplakia: a white patch of cells that can turn into cancer; forms where you put the chew; eats away at the gum line ALCOHOL Depends on: -individual: male vs. female- males generally have a higher alcohol tolerance
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern