IT 223 Midterm Study Guide
– the communication or reception of knowledge or intelligence
Difference between information and data
- Information is a meaningful form of data while data is raw
facts and figures
– the quality or state of being secure, safety(freedom from danger, anxiety, job security), surety,
protection (guard against espionage, sabotage)
is security of information and information systems; components of an information system
focuses on protection of information assets.
focuses on the
correctness of information.
Information security services:
Confidentiality – employee going to porn site
Authentication of Integrity –
Authentication of origin –
Availability – webserver being available
Access control – controlling access to Ethernet and wireless networks
Tradeoff between security and usability:
A perfectly secure system would be unusable.
usable system would have no security.
– A potential for violation of security, which exists when there is an entity, circumstance,
capability, action, or event that could cause harm.
It does not require an action
, although it may include
– a specific instance of that potential being realized, Examples: malware, hacking
– someone or something that creates a threat action, Examples: hackers, organized crime
3 Types of Threat: Natural events
– caused by nature, Examples: flood, fire, earthquake
– caused unintentionally by people, Examples: gaining unauthorized data, disabling a