Introduction to brain

Introduction to brain - Drugs & Behavior NROSCI 0081...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–13. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
NROSCI 0081 11896 Instructor Armando P. Signore, Ph.D Department of Neurology S522, BST Mailbox: Langley 210 Office phone: 648-8858 aps127@pitt.edu Office Hours: by appointment At BST-S522 (Eye and Ear Institute on Lothrop St.)
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Teaching Assistant Recitation 11943 Wednesdays, 12:00-12:50 Crawford Hall Rm. 169 Attendance highly recommended !
Background image of page 2
Textbooks Both on Reserve in Langley Library Required Recommended (highly)
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Exams, Grading 3 Exams (60% of grade, 20% each) ~10 Quizzes (may drop 2, 10% of grade) 1 Final Exam (cumulative, 30% of grade) Multiple choice and short answers Exams will cover material discussed in the class lectures, in required texts, and any handouts.
Background image of page 4
Web Resources This course will be included in Pitt's CourseWeb http://courseweb.pitt.edu You will need a Pitt account and password to log on to the CourseWeb site. You will need to be a registered student of this course to access some of the information on the course site, such as lecture notes (printable), announcements and your grade.
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Course Objectives : 1. Basic understanding of neuronal and brain function 2. Understand how drugs alter neuronal function 3. Knowledge of the behavioral effects and biological mechanisms of action of the major drugs of abuse 4. Drugs used to treat common psychiatric and neurological disorders
Background image of page 6
Lecture 1: Introduction to Drugs and Behavior
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Lecture 1 Objectives: 1. Intro: Sample Drug: Ecstacy 2. Define drug 3. Factors that influence drug action 4. Drug classification
Background image of page 8
Ecstasy: is a derivative of amphetamine.
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
‘Drug’ - chemicals that alter normal biological functions of the body - excludes nutrients considered to be related to normal function Psychoactive/psychotropic drugs - drugs that alter behavior, cognitive function, or emotions Licit vs. illicit
Background image of page 10
Licit vs. illicit Licit Americans consume 100 grams/caffeine/yr/person 25% of Americans smoke cigarettes 2/3 of Americans >12 yrs. of age consumed alcoholic beverages last yr. Illicit 1/3 of Americans age 12 have used illicit drugs - Most popular? 2.5 million Americans use cocaine regularly ~200,000 heroin users in America
Background image of page 11

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
or illegal drugs? 434,000 Tobacco
Background image of page 12
Image of page 13
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 43

Introduction to brain - Drugs & Behavior NROSCI 0081...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 13. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online