Petroleum paper for Physic

Petroleum paper for Physic - Petroleum Petroleum is a type...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Petroleum Petroleum is a type of crude oil. It is a naturally occurring liquid that that can be found within formations in the Earth. These formations consist of complex mixtures of hydrocarbons. In its naturally occurring form, it may contain other nonmetallic elements such as sulfur, oxygen, and nitrogen. It is usually dark brown or black, but its actual composition can affect its color. Petroleum is used for primary energy sources, such as gasoline and fuel oil. About 16% by volume of petroleum is used for chemical products, such as pesticides and plastics. The other 84% is converted into energy-rich fuels. Petroleum is an important energy source because it is easy to transport, has high energy density, and it relatively abundant. Petroleum is commonly extracted from oil wells which are located in oil fields. The recovery of oil and gas has been greatly enhanced over the years thanks to improved technologies and higher demand for hydrocarbons. Primary recovery methods are used to extract
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/18/2008 for the course PHYS 110 taught by Professor Edge during the Spring '08 term at South Carolina.

Page1 / 2

Petroleum paper for Physic - Petroleum Petroleum is a type...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online