practice problem 4_solution

practice problem 4_solution - CH 250 Precincts 150°C Air...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: CH; 250 Precincts 150°C Air 100 25°C —u—* Ccoling water Methane (CH4) is oxidized with air to produce formaldehyde (HCHO) in a continuous reactor via the following reaction: CH4(g) + Ozrg) 9 HCHO(sJ + H2O(g) (1) A competing reaction is the combustion of methane to form C02: “01L 0% In this specific problem, CH4 and 02 enters the reactor at a mole ratio of 1:1. In the reactor, 40% of CH4 is consumed. Of this 40%, 75% reacted via reaction (1) and the other 25% reacted via reaction (2). The heat produced in the reactor is taken away by cooling water flowing in the tube (see the diagram). The pressure is low enough for ideal gas behavior to be assumed. How much heat (kl/h) must be taken away if CH4 enters the reactor at a rate of 100 mole/h? AHOE CH4, gas = -74.84 kJ/mcl AHofl HCHo, gas = —115.89 kJ/mol AHOfi (:02, gas = 393.51 kJ/mol AHOE H20, gas : -24i Cp forallothergases and vapors:30 J/mol.K 0H4 f 02; *3 H5960 "fm (U T31R54 ‘ BMW *6“: we“ 1 onat +101, 77 a); r eat/0 (9-9 [lo/Meg 3066 xiii] [$02 WWW a) Wé (H? W7 (9c M are 00+:- 04 7’52: $0.5M Wait/La (4) WM Odd/067a MAM/7 x 0.3mfiflm0/ngflfiL /gm‘gmg \ 03 6‘2. )c-drfig/o eel mag Mariel Uzi; C2), [Wabde aim/we dalmawfimo, s W O~ZW6€ 92/, W W 2 éef a , vuafl ' 5 - 1 1,0 (4'; j N; wfirg: 4 xii 024 aSr’Fé wag ...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern