MGMT2105_2014T2_Lecture07 - MGMT 2105 East Asian Business...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 MGMT 2105: East Asian Business Enterprise Term 2, 2014 School of Management Dr. Hokyu Hwang Some Ground Rules: Logistics n Call me Dr. Hwang when you want to talk to me or email me. n Emailing me is the best way to contact me or to set up an appointment. ([email protected]) n Please put MGMT2105 in the subject line when emailing me. n Please contact me for consultation. n My office is ASB 546C (Level 5, ASB Building) )
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
2 Reading Materials for the Course n There is no textbook for this class. n Study Kit Cases and book chapters n All other reading materials can be downloaded through the UNSW library system. n I will provide links to the HBS cases soon. n I will also upload newspaper or magazine articles I come across on the class page. Teaching staff, Lecture, and Tutorials Name Contact Details Consultation Hours Dr Hokyu Hwang Lecturer in charge Mr. Amir Gazinoori School of Management Room546C, ASB building [email protected] School of Management Room 502 (Glass Room) 5 th Floor West Wing, ASB Building By appoitnments 10-11am, Wednesdays Room 502 (Glass Room) 5 th Floor West Wing, ASB Building Time Location Lecture: 9:00-11:00, Tuesdays (w1, w3-13) QUAD1027 Tutorials: 13:00-14:00, Tuesdays (w1, w3-13) QUAD G047 14:00-15:00 Tuesdays (w1, w3-13) QUAD G047 16:00-17:00 Tuesdays (w1, w3-13) QUAD1047
Image of page 2
3 Assessment Details n Lecture Attendance (5%) & Tutorial Attendance (5%) n Tutorial Participation (10%) n Group Presentation (10%) n Group Project Report (20%) Proposal (5%) is due in the 7 th week in your tutorial. The final report is due in the 12 th week in your tutorial. n In-class Mid-term Exam (20%) – 9 th week n Final Exam (30%) – 13 th week n In order to pass this course, students must Attempt ALL assessment tasks Attain an overall pass mark of 50% Attend at least 80% of scheduled classes Highlights from the previous lecture
Image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
4 Korean Strategy n Manufacturing, Export-led Development Strategy Initial focus on growth/mature stage products supported by government’s import substitution policy (e.g., consumer goods and light manufacturing) 1960s: Labor intensive light manufacturing, cement, fertilizer 1970s: Heavy and chemical industries Technology transfer through reverse engineering and apprenticeship Minimization of project completion period n Diversification Strategy: Product Unrelated diversification (“octopus-arm” expansion) è need to develop supporting industries Government incentives, small domestic market, risk reduction, etc. Samsung: sugar, wood, textiles in the 1950s; electronics, fertilizer, paper in the 1960s, construction, electronic components, heavy industry synthetic textiles, etc. Reform in the 1990s: streamlining business lines by focusing on core industries (‘Big Deals’ under the Kim Dae-Jung presidency) Korean Approach to Internationalization Strategy n Similar to the Japanese approach (Kenichi Ohmae) Three phases Enter at the lower end Expand to medium and high ends Win the world Successful entry at the lower end
Image of page 4
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern