{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Worksheet 2 - ECON 2843 Worksheet 2 1 In an Econ 2843 class...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
ECON 2843 Worksheet 2 1. In an Econ 2843 class, 75 % of the students are male, 70 % are in the College of Business, and 50 % are male business students. What is the probability a randomly selected student is at least one of the following: College of Business, Male? 2. Of a set of seniors in the College of Business, 40 % did well (B or better) in Statistics 1 and 30 % did well in Statistics 2. You also know that 20 % did well in both courses. What is the probability a randomly selected student did well in Statistics 1, did well in Statistics 2, or did well in both? 3. If we randomly select a student from the group in problem (1) above and find he is a male, what is the probability he is in the College of Business? 4. Of the students taking a proficiency examination, 50 % were Engineering and 20 % passed. a. Based on this information alone, can you determine the probability that a randomly selected student was engineering and passed? b. Suppose you also find that 10 % of the students in engineering passed. What is the answer to part (a) in that case? 5. A weight control clinic finds that 70 % of the customers are female, 20 % finished the program, and 80 % either were female, finished the course, or both. What is the probability a randomly selected customer was a female and finished the course? 6. Suppose enrollment data show that for Arts and Sciences freshmen, 90 % take Statistics 1, 80 % take College Algebra, and 70 % take both courses. Show whether the events "not taking Statistics 1" and "not taking College Algebra" are mutually exclusive? 7. Show whether the events being male and being in the College of Business are independent in the situation described in problem (1) above?
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern