CARDIOVASCULAR SYSYTEM-BLOOD

CARDIOVASCULAR SYSYTEM-BLOOD - o Antibodies incapacitate...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
CARDIOVASCULAR SYSYTEM: BLOOD 6.1 BLOOD: AN OVERVIEW PORTIONS OF BLOOD Formed elements- red blood cells, white blood cells, and blood platelets, which are derived from cells. o 45% of the whole blood volume Plasma- liquid that contains both inorganic and organic molecules dissolved or suspended in water. o 55% of the whole blood volume FUNCTIONS OF BLOOD Blood is the primary transport medium o Delivers oxygen form the lunges and nutrients form the digestive tract to tissues. o It takes carbon dioxide (CO 2 ) and waste away form the tissue to exchange surfaces in the lunges and kidneys o Various organs and tissues secrete hormones into the blood and blood transports them to other organs and tissues, where they influence cellular metabolism. Blood defends the body against invasion by pathogens in several ways o Some blood cells are callable of engulfing and destroying pathogens with other able to produce and secrete antibodies into the blood.
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: o Antibodies incapacitate pathogens, making the subject to destruction, sometimes by white blood cells. o Blood clots are created to prevent blood loss when your injured o Blood clots are created from platelts and plasma proteins, fibrinogen. o If we didn’t have blood clots we could bleed to death forma small cut. • Blood has regulatory functions o Blood helps regulate body temperaure, by packing up heat, mostly from active muscles and transports it about the body. o Salts and plasma help to keep the liquid content high in the blood. o Blood regulates the body’s pH and keeps it relatively constant. 6.2 COMPOSITION OF BLOOD • Plasma is the liquid portion of blood o 92% of plasma is water, the remaining 8% is salt (ions) and organic molecules • The salts help maintain the pH of the blood. • Organic molecules in plasma are glucose, amino acids,urea, hormones, and plasma proteins...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online