MATH 218 Quiz 2 solutions

MATH 218 Quiz 2 solutions - Quiz 2 Show Your Work! Math 218...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Math 218 Quiz 2 1/29/09 Show Your Work!!! 1. If it rains, there is an 80% chance that you will get wet. The weather man said there was a 40% chance of rain today. A fortune cookie told you that there was a 60% chance that you would get wet today. Assuming the fortune cookie was correct, a) Are the events “get wet” and “rain” independent? Why or why not? No, P(“get wet” | “rain”) = .8, but P(“get wet”) = .6 , if these events were independent, then these would be equal, but they are not, so they are not independent. b) What is the probability that it rains today and you get wet? P(“rain” and “get wet”) = P(“rain”)*P(“get wet” | “rain”) = (.4)*(.8) = .32 2. A company uses three different assembly lines – A 1 , A 2 , A 3 – to manufacture a particular component. Of those manufactured by line A 1 , 5% need rework to remedy a defect, where as 8% of A 2 ’s components need rework and 10% of A 3 ’s need rework. Suppose that 50% of all components are produced by line A
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/13/2009 for the course MATH 218 taught by Professor Haskell during the Spring '06 term at USC.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online