Case analysis_Aravind Eye hospital - CASE ANALYSIS ARAVIND EYE HOSPITAL Submitted by Prachi Prakash 150103114 Section C Brief history of the case By

Case analysis_Aravind Eye hospital - CASE ANALYSIS ARAVIND...

This preview shows page 1 - 4 out of 7 pages.

CASE ANALYSIS: ARAVIND EYE HOSPITAL Submitted by: Prachi Prakash 150103114 Section C
Image of page 1
Brief history of the case: By 1992, there were 30 million blind people in the world with Asia housing 20 million of them. The causes of blindness were different. In developed countries it was dominantly due to age- related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma. However, in the developing nations cataract was the major cause of blindness. In Asia, it accounted for 75% of the blindness cases. Aravind Eye Hospital was founded by Dr. Govindappa Venkataswamy in 1976 post his retirement from the Government Madurai Medical College. In 1976, the Aravind Eye hospital had 20 beds and conducted all types of eye surgeries. In 1981, a main hospital for paying patients commenced operations. It had 250 beds with 80,000 square feet of space in 5 floors. In 1984, a new hospital was opened with 350 beds for free patients. The hospital building was five floors with nearly 36,000 square feet of space. The patients were attracted from the eye camps. By 1998, Aravind Eye Hospital had opened a 600 bed hospital at Madurai, a 400 bed hospaital at Tirunelveli and a 100 bed hospital at Theni. In 1990, Aravind opened its Free Hospital to walk-in patients as well. In 1991, Aravind set up a modern facility to manufacture intraocular lenses (IOLs). By 1992, there were 240 hospital staff, 30 doctors, 120 nurses, 60 admin personnel and 30 other support staffs. Service management and designing the structure The hospital catered to the poorest sections of the society by providing them eye-care facilities without cost. The model is 90% self sufficient with the earnings from the Main Hospital, Madurai. The remaining 10% comes from across the globe from eminent and prominent blind societies. Mission To eradicate needless blindnessby providing Making technology affordable Research Aravind Medical Research Foundation Innovation Education and training Aravind PG Institute of Opthalmology Community outreach programme
Image of page 2
Dr. Venkataswamy's basic insight was that health care can be marketed to the poor if a program is closely tailored to a local niche, something that has come to be known as social marketing. In India, by some estimates, 20 million blind eyes -- 80% of them due to curable cataracts -- the appeal for patients was financial. The Aravind system offers services that range from a simple pair of spectacles to optical oncology. The bulk of surgeries are to treat cataracts -- removing the cataract and replacing it with an artificial intraoptical lens. Each of the Aravind Hospitals has two sections: one is the Main Hospital for the paid patients and other is free hospital for nonpaying patients. The series of steps, which a patient normally goes through, is the same in both the hospitals: 1. Patients are initially registered, their vision is recorded and they undergo a preliminary examination 2. This is followed by testing of tension and tear duct function.
Image of page 3
Image of page 4

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 7 pages?

  • Fall '15
  • srs
  • ARAVIND, Aravind Eye Hospital

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes