Chapter04-1

Chapter04-1 - www.thebiggestpicture.org XCredit 5 pt per...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–6. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: www.thebiggestpicture.org XCredit 5 pt per day Sign attendance each day Quizzes take a while to grade (at least one week) we hope to have them all done by tomorrow Biological Communities and Species Interactions Part I : Evolution After studying the 1 st of Chapter 4 you should: know about biodiversity , why its important in evolution, ways it is decreased understand concepts of evolution , natural selection , fitness , and speciation understand common evolutionary scenarios ( convergent , divergent , co-evolution , mimicry ) know about mass extinctions (including anthropogenic extinction ) Biodiversity total amount of biological variation in a given area. Necessary for stability of environmental systems. Necessary for popns to be able to adapt when the environment changes (i.e., evolve). Genetic Diversity Habitat Diversity Species Diversity Examples Biodiversity Facts: Most spp concentrated in " Biodiversity Hot Spots " There are at least 30 M spp on Earth ( maybe 100M ) Over past 3.5 B yr, 99.9% of all spp that ever lived have gone extinct 90% known spp . R terrestrial & fw (mostly tropical) Remaining 10% known spp R marine Most known phyla have marine representatives 31 of 32 phyla marine (14 / 32 marine- endemic ) 18 of 32 phyla terr & fw (1 / 32 terr- endemic ) Natural (background) rate of extinction 0.25 sp / yr Anthropogenic extinction rate is 20,000 spp / yr VIMP !...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 04/22/2008 for the course BIOL 103 taught by Professor Brown during the Spring '08 term at VCU.

Page1 / 20

Chapter04-1 - www.thebiggestpicture.org XCredit 5 pt per...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 6. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online