HSM GOOD PAPER!![1]

HSM GOOD PAPER!![1] - World Healthcare 1 World Healthcare:...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
World Healthcare 1 World Healthcare: Where Does America Fit In? HSM: 241 Group 11 Andrea Packer, Ellie Foster, Jillian Horn, Raven Stone, Alex Viertel, Emily Kelch, & Macy Bundy
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
World Healthcare 2 The United States of America is considered to be the greatest country in the world to live in. It is estimated by the year 2006; 37.5 million people had migrated to the country of opportunities (Health Care Costs Impoverish 150m Worldwide, 2007). The advances in industrialization, technology, and government have allowed the country to thrive for over 200 years, but for the billions who live here and the increasing number coming, healthcare is sub par compared to others across the world. Health Insurance Health insurance in the United States is a very touchy subject to many people due to the many flaws it has. There are many problems that need to be addressed, including many issues relating to the types of care available, prices of pharmaceuticals, and many more. Studies have shown that 84% of Americans have some form of health insurance. It can be provided by employers, purchased individually, or provided through government programs. 84% seems like a strong percentage, but that still leaves 16% without any form of coverage. That 16% represents about 47 million Americans with no form of coverage. With a seemingly ever growing degree of health problems in the United States, 47 million people seem far too many. In fact, the United States spends more money on healthcare than any other nation in the entire world. While we do have a larger population, something is not right with the fact that 16% still remain uninsured. Why is healthcare not more affordable? It seems that healthcare should be more affordable to everyone because of the amount of money spent annually on the healthcare system by the government. Still, many people do not get the care required for their conditions because of lack of insurance and the lack of its affordability. It seems unjust that people die every day because they cannot afford the treatment or health resources that they need. Medical bills are
Background image of page 2
World Healthcare 3 overwhelmingly the most common reason for personal bankruptcy in the United States. In 2000, The World Health Organization (WHO) ranked the United States health care system as 37th by overall performance, 72nd by health, and 1st by expenditure (among 191 member nations included in the study). Costs for employer-paid health insurance are rising rapidly. Since 2001, premiums for family coverage have increased 78%, while wages have been raised a mere 19% and inflation has risen 17%, according to a 2007 study by the Kaiser Family Foundation. In many countries, the United States included, lower income families pay a higher percentage of their income for health insurance than do those with a higher income. Consequently, health insurance is causing the cost of living to increase while wages remain steady. With this evidence, it becomes clear why bankruptcy is such a problem related to health care costs. Despite its many flaws, the United States does provide health coverage for many
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/23/2008 for the course NURSING Nursing taught by Professor Nursing during the Spring '08 term at Kentucky.

Page1 / 17

HSM GOOD PAPER!![1] - World Healthcare 1 World Healthcare:...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online