Chapter 2 Notes

Chapter 2 Notes - Chapter 2 The Chemical Context of Life...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Chapter 2 The Chemical Context of Life • Overview: Chemical Foundations of Biology • Concept 2.1: Matter • Matter –Chemical elements •Pure form •Combination Elements and Compounds Matter-anything that takes up space Solid Liquid Gas • Matter is made up of elements • Element-substances that cannot be broken down to other substances by chemical reactions –92 Natural elements • A compound –> 2 elements combined in a ratio –Has characteristics different from those of its elements Essential Elements of Life • Essential elements (25) –A few include carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen –Make up 96% of living matter • A few other elements –Make up the remaining 4% of living matter • The effects of essential element deficiencies • Trace elements –Are required by an organism in only minute quantities •Iron (Fe) •Iodine (I) • Concept 2.2: An element’s properties depend on the structure of its atoms • Element –Made a special atom •different from atom of other elements • Atom –Is the smallest unit of matter that still retains the properties of an element Subatomic Particles • Atom –Made of subatomic particles • Subatomic particles: –Neutrons=neutral –Protons=positive charge –Electrons=negative charge • Protons and neutrons –Are found in the atomic nucleus • Electrons...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 6

Chapter 2 Notes - Chapter 2 The Chemical Context of Life...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online