Unformatted text preview: - Any enemies or reason someone may have wanted to kill the victim
- Routines of the victim
- Victimology assists in: .
- Developing Pro-active techniques (Wmﬁm — able +0 warn o'l‘lw’ Pﬁﬁible, victims)
- Development of interrogation techniques (gar naming, From 505W?»
- Recognizing if a speciﬁc person is at risk
- Purpose: to supply offender characteristics to help investigators narrow the ﬁeld of suspects based
on characteristics of the crime scene and initial investigation information #55mean m lack For when Criminal Personality Proﬁling K s’gnoﬂvrz‘ means wfdwcfh 'H’terc‘S no suqud-
- Used successfully by law enforcement mm a ”Woof
. Valued means by which to narrow the ﬁeld of investigation zit-stereotypes .. mpg/ms do”?
~ Does not provide the speciﬁc identity of the offender always hold Wt bﬁ
- Indicates the type of person likely to have committed the crime Warmly a C and .
Tenets of Offender Proﬁling 3W+ 5 Place; "tn - Behavior reflects personality
- Behavior left at a crime scene can be discerned Seeking Characteristics of an Unknown Offender
- Some traits learned from witness statements )éeXPe/ﬁencﬁ com be to 01+) Q - Most information comes from a combination of 3 t \ (deed
- Crime Scene examination ' bad HMS
- investigative experience
- An understanding of offender and victim behaviors
- Knowledge of wound patterns and forensic evidence
- ls usually not accepted for courtroom presentation C h can be‘niiirzdi , a , ~ V
- May elevate a suspect from the others M how 0‘ ‘/ USQd m Q‘VQW‘ “5““ of - Should describe a suspect to those who know him MM ‘ Wand "\ $Uahoni ' Can help with interviewing strategies
Categories of descriptors in a proﬁle include:
Criminal History ~50 H; ‘mq—Qd Cr: ' A ~ at 3 i1 a : w
Residency (with relatifn tﬁhe crime scents WY md 976,va Chime";
Social adjustment or abnormalities
Alcohol or drug use
- interpersonal Skills
Offenders have individual differences
- The same or similar acts have different psychological frames of reference. “8 - Example: items taken fromavictim \ : - .
. Evidentiary “M4” made “them lean/e. the;
. Valuable Scene an New “they did
— Souvenir Trophy vs. Souvenir
— May represent a victory for the offender ...
View Full Document
- Fall '05