IntrotoBioResearchDolly1(revised)

IntrotoBioResearchDolly1(revised) - Carolyn Johnson Intro...

Info icon This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Carolyn Johnson Intro to Biology Research Response to 2b. The evidence presented in the paper “Viable offspring derived from fetal and adult mammalian cells” posted to Nature in 1997 does not completely justify the claim that the only remaining lamb born, Dolly, is the first mammalian clone developed from adult tissue. The scientists involved in Dolly’s creation do not present enough conclusive proof and data that Dolly came exclusively from the adult mammary or adult stem cells of the pregnant donor ewe. Dolly was the only pregnancy and live lamb resulting from thirteen recipients of embryos created from cells of the mammary gland of a pregnant six year old Finn Dorset ewe. There has been significant debate over what type of cells were actually cultured from the mammary gland, given that the primary culture contained approximately 90% mammary epithelial, but the remaining 10% could have been
Image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern