This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Super Controls Super
Chris Lubanga Drew Neskow Bryant Nguyen Super Controls has no affiliation with DC Comics or Superman Super Who Are We Who
• Super Controls is an emerging electronics Super company, which was founded by three students in February 2008. students • We are centered in Seattle, WA and We specialize in designing and producing motor controllers. motor Motor Controller Quality Motor
• We offer controllers with the highest We quality in: quality
• Our controllers can handle high voltages and currents, and voltage, surge, Our and temperature protection is included to prevent damages. and – Performance
• All modes of operation are smooth and silent while still providing All enough power to drive a vehicle. enough – Efficiency
• High efficiency logic and transistors were used. • Energy is transferred back to the source through regenerative Energy braking. braking. Controller Ratings Ratings
• Rated at 350 V, 100 A, Rated and 35kW and
– This is more than This enough to power a compact electric car compact • Physical protection Physical provided by thermal and weather resistant casing. casing. • Can withstand Can temperatures of 250° C temperatures
– Thermal temperatures Thermal surrounding a vehicle’s engine can exceed 150° C exceed Protection Devices Devices
• Along with heat sinks, Along Zener Transient Voltage Suppressors are used for overare voltage protection.
– When voltage peaks When too high, suppressor brings voltage to diode voltage. diode • Overheating protection Overheating is provided by thermistors or temperature sensing polysilicon diodes. polysilicon
– Forward voltage drop Forward of diodes depend on temperature. temperature. – At high temperatures, At the diode activates a clamping mosfet. clamping Performance Performance
• Bidirectional and Bidirectional smooth speed control • Regenerative and Regenerative dynamic braking. dynamic • Can deliver over 40 hp • 4 quadrant handling Easy to Operate
• Speed is controlled with a potentiometer, which adjusts the output of the SG3524. • Braking time is also controlled with a potentiometer • Any operation can be performed with one switch (e.g. dynamic braking can be switched on). Dimensions and Specifications
• This controller can easily be set up in vehicles. • A heat and weather resistant casing surrounds the electrical components. • Throttle potentiometer can connect externally to controller. Efficiency Efficiency
• PWM type controller is PWM lighter, more efficient, and less costly than other types. types. • Instead of using standard Instead PWM, a buck converter is used to decrease the ripple. ripple. •With a buck, lower With frequency can also be used which means less switching losses. switching Efficiency Efficiency
• Our controllers can switch to Our regenerative braking to charge a vehicle’s battery. charge • A buck-to-boost topology buck-to-boost allows more efficiency in regeneration by returning some energy from motor operation to battery. operation • With a buck, lower frequency With can also be used which means less switching losses. means Vehicle Integration
• This controller can easily be set up in vehicles. • A single potentiometer controls the speed of the motor, and another potentiometer varies the braking.
– Built to use throttle potentiometers • Also, operation can be switched between forward and reverse How To Use Controller
• Insert Video showing how to use Cost
Unit IRF9520 MTP3055 LM311 MUR420 .1uF ceramic cap 10uF, 50V cap 100uF, 35V cap 1000uF, 25V cap LM555 SG3524 7805 5V reg 7808C 8V reg GAL22V10 100k 3/4 turn pot 50K 3/4 turn pot 1kohm resistor 10kohm resistor Cost/Unit ($) 1.50 1.00 0.60 0.80 0.20 0.30 0.30 0.70 0.40 0.60 0.60 0.80 3.50 1.00 1.00 0.10 0.10 Number of Units 4.00 2.00 6.00 4.00 1.00 5.00 1.00 3.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 3.00 1.00 Total Unit Cost ($) 6.00 2.00 3.60 3.20 0.20 1.50 0.30 2.10 0.40 0.60 0.60 0.80 3.50 1.00 1.00 0.30 0.10 Is this too much for a motor controller? Total Cost 27.20 Unused Slides beyond this point
• Just added in case you have any comments for their use •Forward Operation Regenerative Braking •Switch closes to the left right •Mosfets to the right •Mosfets to those to the pulse while the left pulse left are open while those to the right are open Design
NMOS1 PMOS2 IL BB not BB PMOS1 NMOS2 H-Bridge Logic Table for Buck and Boost
BB, which is controlled by GO, switches from forward/reverse to regenerative braking
GO SW/ BR 1 N1 1 P1 0 N2 0 P2 1 BB 0 BB not 1 The NMOS2 and PMOS2 are always open during buck operation 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 The NMOS1 and PMOS1 are always closed during boost operation 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 Logic Table for H-Bridge
The H-Bridge allows the switch from forward to reverse. It can also be shorted at the bottom for dynamic braking
REVERSE 0 0 1 1 DYNAMIC 1 0 1 0 LEFT 1 0 1 1 RIGHT 1 1 1 0 Design Summary Design
• Buck topology controls average voltage across Buck motor motor • SG3524 pulse width modulator used for duty SG3524 cycle control of buck cycle • Boost topology increases motor emf and sends Boost back to battery back • LM555 timer used for duty cycle of boost • GAL22V10 controls logic LM311 compares signal and amplifies to V Ratings and Durability
V is rated at 24 V Motor Controller Features Motor
• A motor controller’s basic functions are to adjust motor the speed, start and stop, and provide forward and reverse operation for an electric motor. and • Our controllers provide bidirectional and smooth Our speed control along with both regenerative and dynamic braking. dynamic • Speed control is smooth in both directions, and Speed the regenerative braking speed can also be controlled. controlled. GAL Logic GAL
• A programmable GAL chip, powered by a 8V programmable regulator, is used to control logic in the controller. regulator, • GAL chips consume low power and have fast delay GAL times in the ns range. • The GAL takes in one input to control the following: ◦ Boost mosfets ◦ Buck mosfets ◦ Boost to Buck switch • Amplifiers are used to increase the GAL outputs Cost Comparison
• DC Speed Controllers without braking range from $15 - $20 • With braking ability, the price can jump to $40 $60 • Finally with regenerative braking, a controller costs $100+ • Super Controls is only asking $30 for a motor controller, which is only a little more than a basic speed controller ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 03/15/2009 for the course EE 453 taught by Professor Arabshi during the Spring '09 term at University of Washington.
- Spring '09