course%20policies_goals__sp07 - C o u r s e P o l i c i e...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: C o u r s e P o l i c i e s & G o a l s Esther Quinlan , Writing & Rhetoric 3020 , Professor Contact Information for Spring 2007 Office: Temporary Building 1, ( The Prose Hospital) , Room 113. ( TB #1 is located between Claire Small and Sewall Hall, on the north end of the 380 Parking Lot next to the Rec Center.) Hours: TR from 1-2 & and R 4:45-5:30 or by individual appointment Phone: 303/735-0823 (office) or 303/ 443-1405 (home) before 9 p.m. Email: [email protected] ( via CU-Learn) Required Materials Siddhartha, by Hesse (translated by Sherab Chödzin Kohn, Shambala, 2000) World’s Religions: Guide to Our Wisdom Traditions, by Houston Smith They Say, I Say, by Graff and Birkenstein Two pocket folders Two CDs: one for the Visual Art Project and one for the Final Portfolio Microsoft Word (Other programs are not compatible with certain CU-Learn functions.) Mozilla Firefox 1.0 or 1.5 as your Internet browser. Version 2 is not compatible with CU- Learn. Safari for Macs. Overview This topic furnishes us with excellent material for analysis and argument, the two modes of discourse emphasized in PWR’s upper-division Arts and Sciences written communications requirement courses. According to historian Huston Smith, “If we take the world’s enduring religions at their best, we discover the distilled wisdom of the human race.” This wisdom can be divided in religious texts that have human authority and sacred texts that have divine or transcendent authority. We will explore artistic expressions of spirituality in literature and visual art, for the subtlety, intensity, and depth of spiritual consciousness are conveyed powerfully through art. (Visual art includes painting, sculpture, architecture, or photography.) Readings and assignments relate to mysticism and The Spiritual Quest. Students from all religious traditions and those without any religious tradition are all welcome, with the understanding that the course is built on two assumptions: first, that spirituality is an integral and valid dimension of humanity; and second that all religious traditions offer access to transcendent truth. Schedule Overview for Spring 2007 January 16-February 15: Introduction to Mysticism and Poetry Project February 20-March 22: Inquiry-Argument Project April 3-April 5: Style Work April 10-May 3: Visual Art Project Weekly Assignments and Due Dates See “Assignments” on CUlearn for a weekly work. Grading Three Formal Papers constitute 75% of the course grade. One of these is a team project in which partners collaborate and receive the same paper grade, but separate participation grades. The remaining 25% of the course grade comes from class participation, preparation, peer reviews, and short writing assignments....
View Full Document

This essay was uploaded on 03/18/2009 for the course WRTG 3202 taught by Professor Esterquinland during the Spring '08 term at Colorado.

Page1 / 7

course%20policies_goals__sp07 - C o u r s e P o l i c i e...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online