Unformatted text preview: learning suppression
• Rats showed CR of immune suppression to CS of Rats saccharin solution after pairing with an immune suppressing drug (US) suppressing – Nervous and endocrine systems Nervous communicate via cytokines, messengers secreted in the immune system secreted
Lecture 22 37 Psychoneuroimmunology
• Acute stress manipulation studies • Naturalistic study of chronic stress • Often studied by looking at markers of immune function in blood • Wound healing studies • Sympathetic nervous system activation influences immune function Immune System
• Imperfect relationship; requires exposure • Mostly studied in animals to date; • Some studies look at development of cold symptoms following exposure to virus as a function of stress
Lecture 22 Disease
38 PNI Findings
• Medical students show lower numbers of Medical NK, T, and % of total lymphocytes around exams than at other times exams • Wound healing slower during exams than Wound on vacation on • Marital conflict linked to poorer response Marital to immunization and slower wound healing to
Lecture 22 39 PNI Findings
• Caregivers have slower healing, worse Caregivers immune functioning, higher mortality immune • Bottom line: Stress, esp. chronic stress, Bottom decreases immune function decreases • Does reducing stress help? A little Does (hypnosis, relaxation, CBT) (hypnosis,
Lecture 22 40 PNI Mechanisms
• CNS and immune system communicate via CNS peripheral NS connected to thymus, spleen, lymph nodes lymph • CNS communicates via hormones (e.g., CNS releasing factors) releasing • Autonomic NS influences immunity by controlling Autonomic release of epinephrine, norepinephrine, cortisol release • Imm...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 03/22/2009 for the course PSYCHOLOGY 830 taught by Professor 346 during the Spring '09 term at Rutgers.
- Spring '09