test2 - K E y BUS 370 — Spring 2009 — Test 2 Directions...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–8. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
Image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
Image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 6
Image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 8
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: K E y BUS 370 — Spring 2009 — Test 2 Directions: Fill in your name and student ID. Shade the corresponding letters and numbers on the answer sheet. Answer each question with the one best choice by marking the letter of the answer on the attached answer sheet. Each of the 25 questions is worth 4 points for a total of 100 points. 1. The following type of capacity planning uses workforce, inventory and subcontracting decisions over a monthly horizon: @ Tactical b) Strategic c) Lead d) Planning and Control 2. A hotel chain is considering building a new hotel in the Raleigh area. They decide to add capacity only after demand has materialized. The benefits are greater productivity and delay of a large investment. They have chosen the following strategy: 69 Lag b) Match c) Lead d) Virtual Supply Chain 3. Similar to the Forster’s Market case, Forster could buy a roaster with a capacity of 40,000 pounds per year for a fixed cost of $30,000 per year which would lower his per unit cost of coffee from $4 per pound to $2 per pound. He can sell 15,000 pounds of coffee in his market for $6 per pound and can sell coffee to restaurants for $3.50 per pound. There is a 60% chance he can sell 25,000 pounds total and a 40% chance he can sell 35,000 pounds total. The following statement is true about the expected value of buying the roaster: AM [30,: 15,0001L5 x(‘Q/(5 - ‘q/IQ = $30,000 B041: ' ‘30,000 + 15.000 ”>5 “(‘é//l>"2/’L> + . (a[ 10,000 ILs x (’35'0/11,» ‘ Loo/Nb] 5* ,‘f [74,000 lb; ‘(‘3.$/n_,r‘2//L:): '4530‘000 * ‘EOIDUO T ‘9/000 4* 1,1,000 = ‘5’)1000 a) $ 81,000 higher than not buying it b) $ 51,000 higher than not buying it (3) $ 21,000 higher than not buying it ) Lower than not buying it Fixed cg Variable C t Uni Option 1 $280,000 $25 Option 2 $120,000 $45 The indifference point between Option 1 and Option 2 is: 4: g c , +3 $210,000 + lfx,’ ”’0'000 ‘tj'x “Macao : 20x- $000M}: 3" a) OUnits b) 4,000 Units @ 8,000 Units d) 12,000 Units 5. In the theory of constraints, the concept that “an hour of throughput lost at the constraint is an hour of throughput lost for the entire chain” describes the following step: a Identify (é Exploit c) Subordinate d) Elevate 6. During training, an airline representative checks in their first customer in 4 minutes and the second customer in 3 minutes. It will take him the following amount of time to check in the first 10 customers in total: 3 a T :qmg, TV 2m Merv 75 /<> a) 1.540 minutes b) 5.589minutes g n 5 ((0 @V‘y‘le) : g. 557‘? @ 22.356 minutes d) 55.890minutes TiarTinL : 0,5, x 5637 : 92.3“: 7. J ifiieLube has 15 customers arriving per hour on average. The average service rate is 25 customers per hour. The average time spent in the waiting line system is: Aclg cusf/hr : QC cow/Ar ,0! TgtL- ' : .ikr/CV<%: , ,«4- A agate/He , mm, a) -.1 minutes é mat V 14“ b) .1 minutes c) 3.6 minutes @ 6.0 minutes 8. The following statement about forecasting is true: a) Almost always correct @3' More accurate for groups or families 0) More accurate for longer time periods (1) Can be substituted for calculated demand 9. The following is a qualitative forecasting method in which the forecast for a new product or service is based on the actual history of a similar product or service (in forecasting demand for the newest model of iPod, the demand history from the previous model of iPod is used as an input): a) Panel Consensus b) Build-up Forecasts c Delphi Life Cycle Analogy 1 0. Period Demand 1 78 2 84 3 82 For period 4, the forecast using a 2 period moving average forecast is: _ Dr‘fbt _ 32*87_ F 7 , 7, « 3? r ‘f '2. a) 81 b) 82 ‘3’ 1’3: 11. Period Demand F; {Exponential Smoothing) Trend & 3 85 84 5 89 4 91 85 3 88 The Trend for Period 5 (0L=.6, B = .4) is (round to the nearest whole number): TS: 73(F5'fi)+(/'8>Tq F5: ah+0w>fi= .(7‘?I+.V"85 =3”??? a) l b) 2 _ x . . . + , : _ 3 TS’»9(9‘?'8§)+.C 3—19/3 37373 ) 4 12- USng the data below, the Mean Forecast Error is: (D) we D_em.and Fgrggg FE : net , F 1 554 578 _ H 2 589 612 -1; 3 634 625 q 4 658 656 IL ' 7-6 = S F E a -26.0 , é -6.5 E 3 gift : -33 : .- c) 6.5 M F n v 4 . S d) 12.0 13. Using the same logic/math as the Top Slice Drivers Case and the information below (difi‘erent data than the case in the lecture notes), we will likely run out of capacity in months: . . _ A F : F + T Exponential Smoothing Forecast (Ft) — 3500 f t 4' Capacity = 4000 Demand (D) = 3700 A F - F = 71 Adjusted Forecast (AB) = 3650 t t ’3 éSor'SfOO > 7; r ’fo a lMonth Ca ’ —- Dt L/ ,3700 /au+’7 000 ‘ 2Months Momfks -, T l "‘75; 0 '9) 4' c) 3 Months d) 4 Months 14. “A repeated pattern of spikes or drops in a time series associated with certain times of the year” is: a) Qualitative b) Randomness c Trend @ Seasonality 15. The following favors a decision to outsource: a) Low environmental uncertainty b) Low competition in the supplier market c High relationship to core competency High ability to monitor supplier performance 16. Using portfolio analysis, the actions taken are to widen the specification, increase competition and develop new suppliers. These actions are consistent with the following quadrant: a Critical Bottleneck c) Routine d) Leverage 17. Summary Data for 3 possible suppliers Performance Dimension Supplier A Supplier B Supplier C Price .3 $850/unit 3 s 740/unit a $810/unit Quality 3 .3 % defects .2 .6 % defects 1 1.2 % defects Lead Time 3 14 days 1 21 days 3.18 days Rating Values 1 2 3 Price >$ 900/unit $800-900/unit <$800/unit Quality >1.0 % defects .5-1.0 % defects <.5 % defects Lead Time >20 days 15—20 days <15 days Wei ts Price Quality Lead Time .3 .5 .2 From the information above, using the weighted point evaluation systems, the following supplier should be chosen: am“ A: 5* «l 1" .8” 3 +1” 3 = 3-7797 31.3”} +.5x1hu( =2.) C’:,3"2. f‘g—b' +131 2: ,.§ ‘Supplier A b) Supplier B c) Supplier C d) Not enough information to tell 18. An advantage of multiple sourcing is: @ Creates Competition b) Transportation Economics c) Reduced Quality Variability d) Volume Leveraging 19. On average, cost of materials consumes approximately _% of a manufacturer’s revenue: a) 20 b) 30 c) 40 @50 20. If the item is new or technically complex with only vague specifications, the supplier selection method which is most effective is: a) Competitive Bidding b) Firm Price Contracting @ Negotiation d) Cost-Based Contracting 21. The form of analysis in which we answer questions such as “What are the top 10 commodities by annual spend?” and “Which commodities have the most suppliers?” is: a Total Cost of Ownership Analysis é Spend Analysis c) Total Cost Analysis d) Purchasing Analysis 22. “Any operation that stores, repackages, stages, sorts or centralizes goods or materials” is: a) Multimodal b) Logistics Warehousing (1) Packaging 23. A form of warehousing that pulls together smaller shipments from a number of sources (often plants) in the same geographic area and combines them into larger, more economical, shipping loads is: a Crossdocking Consolidation c) Hub and Spoke d) Break-bulk 24. MachineCo Industries of Chicago, Illinois makes weekly shipments to 10 customers in the Orlando, Florida area. Each customer’s order weighs, on average, 1,500 pounds. A Chicago based warehousing firm has offered to run a break-bulk warehousing operation in Orlando at the cost of $40 per hundred weight. Local deliveries in Orlando to each customer would cost $50 per customer. MachineCo would make 1 break-bulk shipment to the Orlando warehouse each week at a cost of $1000 per shipment. The weekly cost of the breakbulk solution is: a) $ 2,100 b) $ 2,500 c) $ 6,500 @1; 7,500 r . ¢ (VJ'I’ Defiutrfh élqrp BI eat. Bull \ I M M m is: 3 (’00:) 4 1050,}x1’5'001Ls/w54 x ”on” + lok"§0 : <thooo + ‘5 (7,000 +‘SOO = $'ZS’oo 25. A form of warehousing that attempts to position time sensitive, seasonal goods close to the marketplace often using temporary, public storage is: Spot Stock ) Assortment c) Multimodal d) Postponement ...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern