311Midterm_I_Solutions

311Midterm_I_Solutions - Name_ Student ID_ Section_...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Name______________________________ Student ID______________________________ Section_____________________________ BUAD-311 Operations Management Sample Mid-term Exam I Spring 2008 Open Book, Open Notes, No Lap Tops State all your assumptions clearly Make sure that you have 13 pages (Including the cover page) Good Luck
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Section A: Multiple Choices [2 pts each] 1. A computer manufacturer produces 2 types of computers Type A and Type B. Each of the computers is processed first on an assembly line and is then tested. Both of these production stages (assembly and testing) are available for 600 min per day. Processing times of each computer on each production area are given below: Assembly Testing Type A 30 min 20 min Type B 10 min 30 min Which of the following statements is true? a) If profit margins are the same, only Type B should be produced. b) This manufacturer has capacity to produce 20 units of Type A and 20 units of Type B every day. c) If daily production volumes are 15 units of Type A and 10 units of type B, then Testing is the bottleneck d) If only Type A is produced Testing is the bottleneck. e) None of the above Answer c 2. You observed that the sushi place at the student commons has on average 4 people waiting to be served or being served. Which of the following is false? a) If the average total time (waiting and service) is 5 minutes, then the average arrival rate is 0.8 people per minute b) If the average arrival rate is 0.5 people per minute, then the average total time at the sushi place is 8 minutes . c) If the average total time (waiting and service) is 5 minutes, then the average departure rate is 0.8 people per minute d) If the average arrival rate is 1 person per minute, then the average total time at the sushi place is 4 minutes . e) None of the above Answer e
Background image of page 2
3. Which of the following 3 statements is true? I. A process can have more than 1 bottleneck resource. II. Having flexible equipment can increase utilization. III. A linear program may not have a solution. a) I only b) II only c) III only d) I and II only e) I, II, and III. Answer e 4. Consider a roadside stand that sells fresh oranges, and fresh orange juice. Every hour, 40 customers arrive to the stand, and 60% purchase orange juice, while the remaining 40% purchase oranges. Customers first purchase their items. Then, any customer that ordered orange juice must wait while the juice is squeezed. (Customers that purchased oranges leave immediately after purchasing their oranges.) There are 3 customers on average waiting to purchase either oranges or orange juice, and 1 customer on average waiting for the orange juice to be squeezed. How long on average must customers that purchase fresh orange juice wait? a)
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 13

311Midterm_I_Solutions - Name_ Student ID_ Section_...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online