Engr120R02GC03 - Biomechanics Investigation Assignment...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Biomechanics Investigation Assignment Biomechanics Design Experiment Group# 03, Tatsuya Futai, Sean Elliott, Nick Jordan ENGR120 Section 2
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
The purpose of objective one was to design a complex head and neck skeletal model using rubber bands as “muscles.” We used these “muscles” and arranged the rubber bands to provide support for the vertebrae’s and head of our model by attaching them in between the screws of our model. We strategically wrapped our rubber bands around our model to survive a front end collision without injury. In our experiment we were allowed to use the rubber bands in any combination of small, medium, or large, however we were only allowed to use 25 bands. We were not allowed to form multiple loops with a band, connect a rubber band to multiple screws, or wrap the rubber bands around the screw. Our model was bolted to a cart that would simulate a human in a car. The purpose of objective two was find the highest possible release point which would not cause injury to the passenger. We found this by setting up a ramp and impact wall. Following the setup of the ramp and impact wall we then manipulated the starting position of our cart from low to high and recorded our starting position. Next we created a spreadsheet documenting tests and notes and calculated the potential energy, and determined whether our model passed or failed each trial based on the injury of our skeletal model. We documented the configuration and arrangement of the head and neck and explained what it looked like after the crash, basically how much damage our model took. Since muscles work in pairs our design was to try and replicate the basic functions of different muscles from the head to the neck. If we slanted one “muscles” back, we attached another “muscle” forward to compensate equal pressure thus having our “muscles” work in pairs.
Background image of page 2
Objective Two Experiment 1: Description: There was a small rubber band attaching each vertebra to each other. On the front of the model we attached all the rubber bands to the front-center hook. Then from that front hook we attached 2 medium rubber bands to 2b, 2e, 3b, and 3e. From the rear center hook we attached
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 5

Engr120R02GC03 - Biomechanics Investigation Assignment...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online