Chapter 7: Segmenting and Targeting Markets
1. What are some ways in which
can be used for segmentation? (p.
- segmenting markets by region of a country or the world, market size, market
density, or climate.
-Climate is commonly used for geographic segmentation because of its dramatic
impact on residents’ needs and purchasing behavior, like snowboards, water and
snow skis, a/c, heating.
2. What are some ways in which traditional gender targets for specific product
categories is changing? (p. 100)
-males are increasingly involved in wedding planning, deciding on everything from the
site, seating plans, table decorations to the wedding cake and keepsakes for guests.
As males get more involved with their wedding, business engagement consultants,
resorts, and spas are beginning to create special packages designed to attract men
- Number of women shopping at hardware stories such as home depot has been
3. On the issue of “income segmentation,” note that income may be a
, but not
, cause for many types of spending. Income does
mean willingness to spend! (This comment is made in reference to material
on p. 100).
- Income level influences consumers’ wants and determines their buying power
4. What are some questions that should be asked when trying to segment
based one ethnicity? (p. 101)
- What are the general characteristics of your total target population (size, growth
rate, and spending power?)
- Who exactly are they (demographics, psychographics, attitudes, values, beliefs and
- What are their behaviors, in term of products, services, media, language, and so
- How are they different from the general market and each other, based on country of
5. What is the idea behind segmenting based on life cycle stage? You do