exercise25 - Exercise 25 Philosophy 102 (Maher) Spring 2009...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Exercise 25 Philosophy 102 (Maher) Spring 2009 For now, simplify your answers just to see how big the probabilities are. But in quizzes and the exam, you need not simplify; a correct numeric expression will be sufficient. 1. In a routine physical exam, Paul was tested for a disease that only 1 person in 10,000 has. The characteristics of the test are that 99% of people who have the disease test positive and 2% of those who don’t have the disease test positive. Let T = the test result was positive, D = Paul has the disease. Find p ( D | T ). 2. A box contains 5 dice, of which four are fair but one is biased so it lands six half the time. A die is drawn from the box and tossed twice. Let S = the die lands six both times, B = the die is biased. Find p ( B | S ). 3. In a certain town, 85% of the cabs are green and the other 15% are blue. One night a cab was involved in a hit-and-run accident. A witness was tested under conditions like those on the night of the accident and found to identify blue cabs as blue 80% of the time and to identify
Background image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/13/2009 for the course PHIL 102 taught by Professor Weinberg during the Spring '08 term at University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online