TH4B - solutions

TH4B - solutions - TAKE-HOME ASSIGNMENT # 4B NAME Answer...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
TAKE-HOME ASSIGNMENT # 4B NAME Answer key GRADE / 100 INDEPENDENT AND DEPENDENT EVENTS using the examples in questions 5 and 6 on page 184. Please note that whether a situation is dependent or independent may depend upon your interpretation of the problem, so an explanation or rational for your choice is needed. (6 Points) Dependent/Independent Why? 4-4-6a Independent The calculator and the cell phone have two separate power sources therefore these are independent events 4-4-6b Dependent The kitchen toaster and the refrigerator most likely have the same power source therefore this is a dependent event 4-4-6c Dependent Drinking alcohol or drug use will definitely increase the risk of car accidents therefore these are dependent. Find the probability of selecting 4 people who are all left-handed. Write your formulae neatly below using the hints given on page 4 of your notes. (2 points) P (A 1 and A 2 and A 3 and A 4 ) = P(A 1 ) * P(A 2 ) * P(A 3 ) * P(A 4 ) = 0.1 * 0.1 * 0 .1 * 0 .1 = 0.0001 In scientific notation this is = 1.0 x 10 -4 Read question 4-4-13 on page 185-186 and calculate the probability of having 12 girls in 12 children. Write your formulae neatly to show ALL the parts needed. Once you have the FULL formula and the substituted values written you can use a short-cut calculation (0.5) 12 = ? on your calculator to obtain the final answer. (2points) G = baby girl P(G) = ½ = 0.50 P(all 12 girls) = P(G 1 and G 2 and G 3 and G 4 .…G 12 ) = P(G 1 ) * P(G 2 ) * P(G 3 ) * P(G 4 ) *. ..*P(G 12 ) = (0.50) (0.50) (0.50) (0.50) …(0.50) = (0.50) 12 = 0.000244141 = 0.000244 In Scientific notation this is 2.44 x 10 -4 If there were actually 12 girls out of 12 children using a new gender-selection medication, would you consider the medication effective? Why? (1 point) It would be either a miracle…or the drug is effective. In science however, for a drug to be considered truly effective well over 1000 trials would have to be performed with solid statistical results to satisfy the skeptics. 1
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Using the same procedure, what would be the probability of rolling a 3 every time you rolled the dice for 9 rolls? (HINT: Each dice has 6 sides) Show ALL your steps. ( 3 points) R = 3 P(R) = 1/6 = 0.167 P(3) = P(R 1 and R 2 and R 3 and R 4 …..R 9 ) = P(R 1 ) * ( R 2 ) * ( R 3 ) … ( R 9 ) = (0.167) (0.167) (0.167) …(0.167) = (0.167) 9 = 0.000000099 In scientific notation this is 9.9 x 10 -8 You would have to be EXTREMELY LUCKY to roll 3s nine times in a row! NOW IT’S YOUR TURN ! Using question 4-5-20, p.192 and what you have learned about complements to determine the probability that the combined samples from six pools will reveal the presence of E. coli bacteria. To do this you have to rephrase the question to state the probability that at least one sample will contain E. coli . (2 points) HINT 1: A 2% chance of finding E.coli equals a 98% chance of NOT finding E.coli . HINT 2:
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 7

TH4B - solutions - TAKE-HOME ASSIGNMENT # 4B NAME Answer...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online