{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

geologych16 - Chapter 16 Nonrenewable Resources 1 Types of...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 16 Nonrenewable Resources 1. Types of Energy Resources a. Solar and Commercial energy i. About 99% of the energy we use for heat comes from the sun and the other 1% comes mostly from burning fossil fuels ii. The direct input of solar energy produces several other indirect forms of renewable solar energy 1. Wind 2. Hydropower (falling and flowing water) 3. Biomass (solar energy converted to chemical energy and stored in chemical bonds of organic compounds in trees and other plants) b. Relying on fossil fuels i. 76% of commercial energy used comes from nonrenewable fossil fuels c. Net Energy i. Net energy is the amount of high-quality usable energy available from a resource after subtracting the energy needed to make it available for use. 2. Oil a. Crude oil (science) i. Crude oil is a thick liquid containing hydrocarbons that we extract from underground deposits and separate into products such as gas, heating oil, and asphalt ii. Finding oil is first step
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1. Scientists conduct ground and air surveys, use satellites and do seismic surveys by exploding dynamite 2. Oil is dispersed in pores and cracks underground rock formations, somewhat like water saturating deposit iii. Extracting 1. High tech equipment drills oil 2. Drawn by gravity out of the rock pores and into the bottom of the well, is pumped to the surface 3. Peak production occurs a decade after initial contact 4. Producers only get about 35-50% of the oil out of an oil deposit iv. Refining 1. Crude oil is transported to a refinery a. There it is heated and distilled to separate it into components with different boiling points 2. Refining oil decreases its net energy yield and petroleum refining accounts for about 8% of all U.S. energy consumption. v. Petrochemicals 1. Products of oil distillation that are used as raw materials in industrial organic chemicals, pesticides, plastics… vi. Industrial biotechnology 1. Goal is to find ways to use carbohydrates extracted from thins that grow as building block organic chemicals for making and packaging an array of products. b. Global Oil Supplies-OPEC Rules i. 11 OPEC Countries have 78% of the worlds proven oil reserves and most of the worlds unproven reserves
Image of page 2
ii. OPEC members 1. Algeria 2. Indonesia 3. Iran a. 8.6% 4. Iraq a. 11% 5. Kuwait a. 9.2% 6. Libya 7. Nigeria 8. Qatar 9. Saudi Arabia a. 25% of crude oil reserves 10. United Arab Emirates a. 9.3% 11. Venezuela iii. Canada 15% iv. Three largest users of oil 1. US a. Imports 60% of its oil 2. China 3. Japan
Image of page 3

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
c. The world after oil production peaks i.
Image of page 4
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern