Lecture 5 - Introduction to Hotel Operations Lecture 5...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–14. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Introduction to Hotel Operations Lecture 5 Hotel Economics and Operating Leverage Discounting in the Hotel Industry Optimizing Reservations Requests Rate Fences and Yield Lab— prepare for Lecture 6
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Hotel Economics Sales of room nights are roughly two-thirds of a “typical” full-service hotel’s overall revenue. “typical” = basic full-service hotel 195 room Holiday Inn $90 ADR 65% occupancy
Background image of page 2
Uniform System of Accounts contains the following components: Rooms department revenue and expenses Other revenue and expenses Undistributed expenses Management and franchise fees Fixed charges GOP EBITDA
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Profit and Loss Statements Sales from room nights are roughly two-thirds of revenues Rooms is by far the most profitable business unit of the hotel with 75% profit margins
Background image of page 4
Rooms Department P&L
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Profit and Loss Statements Sales from room nights are roughly two-thirds of revenues Rooms is by far the most profitable business unit of the hotel with 75% profit margins Departmental profit margin is around 40%
Background image of page 6
Operating Expenses Overall, costs and expenses for the entire hotel consume around 60% of revenues, leaving a GOP margin of about 40%. Of the total costs and expenses for a full- service hotel, more than two-thirds are fixed (or quasi-fixed) and less than one-third are variable.
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Operating Leverage Is a measure of how revenue growth turns into earnings growth. Fixed costs and variable costs are the operating expenses. The ratio between the two determines how growth in revenue impacts the operating margin.
Background image of page 8
Operating leverage is a measure of how revenue growth turns into earnings growth. If all the operating costs are variable, then the operating margin should be constant as sales grow. If, however, fixed costs are high, then a 5% increase in revenue will generate quite a bit more than a 5% increase in operating earnings, essentially increasing the operating margin.
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Operating leverage is a measure of how revenue growth turns into earnings growth. In general, a 5% move in RevPAR for a full-service hotel will lead to a 10% move in EBITDA.
Background image of page 10
Operating Leverage in Hotels The operating leverage varies depending on the nature of the change in revenue—ie., whether it is driven by room rates or occupancy. Rate driven RevPAR moves have a higher degree of operating leverage (and flow- through) than RevPAR driven by occupancy. Why?
Background image of page 11

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Operating leverage quantifies how much of each dollar in incremental revenues becomes incremental profits. Hotel 1 Revenue 100 rms. X $100 ADR $10,000 Expenses Fixed 4,000 Variable $20/rm 2,000 Profits 4,000 Profitability 40% 5% inc. in ADR Revenue 100 rms x $105 $10,500 Expenses Fixed 4,000 Variable 2,000 Profits 4,500 Profitability 42.9% ...a 12.5% inc. in profits
Background image of page 12
Operating leverage helps to explain why a small decrease in ADR can result in a pronounced loss of revenues.
Background image of page 13

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 14
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 54

Lecture 5 - Introduction to Hotel Operations Lecture 5...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 14. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online