{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

probchisquare - Probability Chi Square Probability The...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–9. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Probability & Chi Square
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Probability: The proportion of times which an event    occurs in a very large number of trials. Probabilities range from: 0 (0%)  = where an event is certain  NOT to occur 1 (100%)  = where an event is             certain to occur
Image of page 2
Example: Flipping a coin, what is the  probability of getting heads or tails? 1/2 or 50%  = heads 1/2 or 50%  = tails Example: Rolling a dice, what is the  probability of getting a particular number?        1/6 or 16%
Image of page 3

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Product Rule: The probability of 2 or more events  occurring simultaneously  (together) is  the product  of their individual  probabilities.
Image of page 4
Example: A monohybrid cross between:  Rr x Rr What is the probability of getting a homozygous recessive  offspring ( rr )? Individual Probabilities of: R  =  1/2 (0.5) r   =  1/2 (0.5) Probability of  rr ? 1[(1/2)(1/2)] =  1/4  or  0.25  or  25% Probability of  RR ? 1[(1/2)(1/2)] =  1/4  or  0.25  or  25% Probability of  Rr ? To get Rr: There are 2 possible combinations:  Rr  and  rR          2[(1/2)(1/2)] = 2(1/4) =  1/2  or  0.5  or  50%
Image of page 5

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Example: If we have 3 coins, what is the probability of getting  1 Head and 2 Tails? Individual Probabilities: H  =  1/2 (0.5) T  =  1/2 (0.5) Since there are  3  possible combinations: HTT TTH THT Our equation is as follows: 3[(1/2)(1/2)(1/2)] =  3(1/8)         =  3/8  or  0.375  or  37.5% 3 possible combinations
Image of page 6
Sum Rule: The probability of one  or the other   mutually  exclusive events occurring is  the sum  of how often each other occurs  separately ( The sum of their  individual probabilities ).
Image of page 7

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Example: For a genotype  Cc , what is the probability  that a gamete will have either the  C  or  allele?
Image of page 8
Image of page 9
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern