BIOL PP2 - ECOSYSYTEM COMMUNITY POPULATION ORGANISMS ORGAN...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–13. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ECOSYSYTEM COMMUNITY POPULATION ORGANISMS ORGAN SYSTEMS ORGAN TISSUE CELL ORGANELLE MOLECULE ATOM Each level of the hierarchy builds on the one below With each step upward unique properties emerge that werent present at more simple levels Emergent properties Biological function starts at chemical level Holistic Approach : Scientists who look at big picture They would study ecosystems Reductionist Approach: Scientists who start by studying individual components of a system Studies atoms or molecules The Chemical Basis of Life Thomas Eisner Studied insect communication Many insects use chemicals to communicate Plants do as well Release chemicals to keep from growing Alkaloids stored in plants to keep moths from eating them Natures Chemical Language The rattlebox moth Produces chemicals important for mating and defense The compound produced during mating Allows the moths to communicate using chemicals Thomas Eisner of Cornell University Has studied this process in rattlebox moths Chemicals play many more roles in life than signaling Making up our bodies, those of other organisms, and the physical environment ELEMENTS, ATOMS, AND MOLECULES Chemical Elements Make up 96% of human body as well as most living organisms. Carbon, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen Accounts for remaining 4% of human body Calcium (Ca), Phosphorus (P), Potassium (K), Sulfur (S). Sodium (Na), Chloride (Cl), Magnesium (Mg) Biological Molecules Include Carbon, Oxygen, , Hydrogen, Nitrogen as main ingredients Ex: Proteins, Sugars, Fats ELEMENTS, ATOMS, AND MOLECULES C ARBON O XYGEN H YDROGEN N ITROGEN COME OVER HERE NOW CALL OUT HIS/HER NAME CONNECTION Trace elements: Essential to some organisms in minute quantities ELEMENTS, ATOMS, AND MOLECULES Matter Anything that has mass and occupies space (objects weight) All living organisms are composed of this Element Any substance that cannot be broken down to other substances by ordinary chemical means. ELEMENTS COMBINE TO FORM COMPOUNDS Compound Substance that contain 2 or more elements in a fixed ratio Ex: NaCl Each element has some type of atomic structure Sodium Chlorine Sodium Chloride Figure 2.3...
View Full Document

Page1 / 47

BIOL PP2 - ECOSYSYTEM COMMUNITY POPULATION ORGANISMS ORGAN...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 13. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online