Chapter 13 Hurricanes and the Coastline
1. The 2005 Atlantic hurricane season broke many all-time records, including all but which of the following?
A. greatest number of named tropical storms in one season
B. greatest number of named tropical storms before August 1
C. greatest number of hurricanes in one season
D. greatest number of major hurricanes making landfall in U.S.
E. greatest number of deaths in one season
2. The deadliest hurricane in U.S. history struck ________________ in 1900 killing 8,000 people.
A. Galveston, Texas
B. New Orleans, Louisiana
C. Charleston, South Carolina
D. Palm Beach, Florida
E. Key Largo, Florida
3. Hurricane Katrina (2005) ranks number ________ in a list of the 13 deadliest hurricanes in the United States
4. Requirements for a hurricane to develop include all but which of the following?
A. seawater with a temperature of at least 80
F in the upper 200 ft of the ocean
B. air must be unstable, warm, and humid
C. weak upper-level winds, preferably blowing in the same direction the developing storm is moving
D. tornado serving as triggering mechanism, spreading out and slowing as storm grows
E. All of the choices are required for a hurricane to form.
5. Hurricanes rotate in a ________________ around a central core in the Northern Hemisphere.
A. clockwise direction
B. counterclockwise direction
C. back and forth motion
D. zigzag pattern
E. random pattern
6. Rank the following in order of
A. tropical depression, tropical storm, tropical disturbance, hurricane
B. hurricane, tropical depression, tropical storm, tropical disturbance
C. tropical disturbance, tropical depression, tropical storm, hurricane
D. hurricane, tropical depression, tropical disturbance, tropical storm
E. tropical storm, tropical depression, tropical disturbance, hurricane.