Unformatted text preview: PsychSim 5: Correlation 17 PsychSim 5: CORRELATION
Name: __________________________________________ Section: ________________________ Date: __________________________________________
This activity demonstrates the use of scatterplots to visualize positive and negative relationships.
• What does it mean to say that two variables are positively correlated? Positive correlation is a relationship between two variables in which both variables move in
the same direction. Negative Correlation
• What does it mean to say that two variables are negatively correlated? Negative correlation is a relationship between two variables in which one variable increases
as the other decreases, and vice versa. Uncorrelated Variables
• What does it mean to say that two variables are uncorrelated? Uncorrelated variables happen when the results are equally likely to have low or high values. Correlation Coefficient
• What is a correlation coefficient? A number between −1 and +1 calculated so as to represent the linear dependence of two
variables or sets of data. Why Use It?
• What value or benefit would a researcher gain by calculating a correlation coefficient rather than
simply describing the relationship as a positive correlation or a negative correlation?
It would help that researcher in making more accurate predictions in newer studies. Estimating the Relationship
• Look at the scatterplots and try to estimate the direction (positive or negative) and the strength of
the relationship. Write in your guess below.
o Scatterplot 1 Positive
_______+0.9 o Positive +0.2
Scatterplot 4 _______ o Negative -0.9
Scatterplot 2 _______ o Scatterplot 5 _______
Uncorrelated 0 o Uncorrelated 0
Scatterplot 3 _______ o Positive +0.8
Scatterplot 6 _______ Causality and Predictability
• The presence of a correlation between two variables doesn’t prove that certain values on one variequal
high or low values on the other. It merely demonstrates that the two varirelated
ables are _____________________
in some way.
a correlation coefficient
• The relationship between two correlated variables has __________________________________.
This means that if a strong correlation exists between variables, then knowing a person’s score on
one variable allows us to predict a person’s score on the other variable. ...
View Full Document
- Fall '17
- Correlation, Correlation and dependence, Pearson product-moment correlation coefficient, Covariance and correlation, Spearman's rank correlation coefficient