Matsci Lab1 - Title Lab1a Casting of Brass Purpose...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Title : Lab1a- Casting of Brass Purpose : Fabricate a copper - 30% zinc alloy.  The brass alloy will be used in later labs to  investigate its material structure and properties. Procedure Weigh out a total of 400 grams material for the alloy.  Because Zn will oxide during the melting,  account for a 5% loss of Zn by weighing out 35% Zn.   Add the materials to the crucible placing  Zn on bottom.   Put on gloves, arm shields, face mask, and protective apron and place the  crucible in the furnace.  Leave it for at least 30 minutes and until all the material has melted.  Remove the crucible from the furnace and remove any crust with the steel rod. Pour the metal  into the casting mold. Observations:   Before melting, the copper was a rusty red powder and the zinc was shiny and in pellet form.  After being heated in the furnace, the alloy was a bright orange which turned to a greenish  brown color after cooling in the casting mold.   Discussion : As the zinc/copper mixture was heated, both metals began to melt.  Since the zinc was in the  presence of such high temperatures, some of it oxidized during the process and was accounted  for beforehand.  During the melting, the nuclei of the two metals came closer together and  began to merge their respective “seas of electrons”.  During cooling the atoms came closer  together and solidified.   The wt% of Zn and Cu respectively were: (120g/380g)= .316  (260g/380)= .68  The Atomic % were:  (120g/65.41g/mol)/198.28mol = .31  (260/63.55g/mol)/198.28mol = .69.  The wt% and the atomic % were nearly identical due to the  very similar atomic weights. 
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Fig.1 In the phase diagram (fig. 1) the alloy was heated to about 1500 C and followed a vertical path  down the Zn 30% line as it cooled.  
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Page1 / 4

Matsci Lab1 - Title Lab1a Casting of Brass Purpose...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online