Lecture 34 - Prevention of Cancer

Lecture 34 - Prevention of Cancer - Lecture 34 Background...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1 Prevention of Cancer Biology 1F25 for Biology Non-Majors Lecture 34 Background Reading Textbook, Chapter 19. The People Who Prepared This Lecture Harry Peery Alan Castle Last lecture: How do we determine whether or not any characteristic has a genetic basis? Definitive proof: identify a specific gene, one allele of which is always associated with a phenotype (e.g., cancer) and one allele with is associated with an alternate phenotype (e.g., no cancer).
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
2 Last lecture: Hall et al.: Individuals with an inherited predisposition to early onset breast cancer inherit a mutated form of BRCA 1 from one of their parents. Later, BRCA 2 was discovered. Inheritance of a mutated allele of BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 account for 85% of all cases of familial predisposition to early onset breast cancer. Other genes…remaining 15%. The basic questions 1. What is cancer? 2. How does cancer develop? 3. What is the genetic basis for cancer? 4. What is meant by the term “predisposition to cancer”? 5. Can cancer be prevented? Predisposition to cancer: Genetic explanation Individual with an inherited predisposition to cancer has inherited one copy of a mutated tumour suppressor gene from one of their parents. Predisposition to cancer: Genes Breast cancer: BRCA1, BRCA2, p53 Colon cancer: MSH2, MLH1, APC Melanoma: MTS1, CDK4 Kidney cancer: WT1, VHL And others….
Background image of page 2
3 Predisposition to cancer: Genetic explanation For cancer to develop, all the other mutations that contribute to cancer must happen. Second mutation in the other copy of the tumour suppressor gene. Proto-oncogene to oncogene.
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 06/10/2008 for the course BIOL BIOL-1F25 taught by Professor Peery during the Spring '08 term at Brock University.

Page1 / 11

Lecture 34 - Prevention of Cancer - Lecture 34 Background...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online