Dev. and Env
(history of progress)
Gaugin- artist. asked where do we come from, what are we, and where are we going?
Before, people did not think of progress, but thought that things got better than got worse in a constant
In the past 300ish years, history has been moving towards something.
Once the Soviet Union failed, democracy would rule, and people would always want
more and better stuff.
: the whole of a society’s knowledge, beliefs, and practices.
: a type of culture.
A type of culture based on:
- domestication of plants, animals, and other human beings
- largely urban
- well developed governments, social classes, and professions
: the opposite of development.
The ‘proof’ that the idea of progress is false. (black box of history)
If we were banished from Eden, by whom?
- we intentionally modify our environment globally
How did we make ecology our home?
- first great monument
- around 15,000 yrs ago, before the end of the last ice age, excavations became more
interesting because of weapons and animal bones
- humans began to extinct species (mammoths, giant marsupials, and bison)
- Lewis and Clark (where there are lots of people, there are few animals, vice versa)
- noble savage (people that the Europeans wanted to invade, since they live harmoniously, they are like
- when hunting was perfected, culture could advance (paintings/technology/religion/government)
- perfected hunting was to good, and got rid of animals
- revolution happened on every continent except Australia, after the last Ice Age
(8,000-10,000 yrs ago)